Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot and select proper boot device!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bweiser21

bweiser21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi, so I think my hard drive died but not positive. A week ago I was using my computer and it worked fine, after I was done I shut it down like every time for the past 3 years. The next day I powered my system up and it went to gateway screen and I noticed it was taking forever to jump into windows. Well it never did, it went to a screen saying reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Im not getting anywhere by pressing f8 or using recovery disc. I go into BIOS and my hard drive isn't listed, I've checked and switched cables to make sure it wasnt that. I can also hear the hard drive spinning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Type Mainstream, Multimedia
Processor Family AMD Phenom
Processor Speed 2.2 GHz
Processor Name AMD Phenom X4 9500
RAM 8 GB
Storage Capacity (as Tested) 2.2 GB
RAID No
Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 3200
Primary Optical Drive Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

What model Gateway system?

Louis

#3 bweiser21

bweiser21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Lx6200-01

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

If the BIOS fails to see the properly connected drive, I would say that it's time to run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive...these are normally available at the respective websites of the various hard drive manufacturers.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

<<Im not getting anywhere by pressing f8 or using recovery disc.>>

Does that mean that the recovery disc cannot perform recovery procedures at all...doesn't detect a hard drive...what?

Louis

#5 bweiser21

bweiser21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Yeh when I ran the recovery it couldn't find the hard drive and when I ran the seagate hard drive tool it never detected a hard drive.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

I would regard those facts...as evidence of a need for a replacement drive, assuming that you have a drive made by Seagate/Samaung.

Louis

#7 bweiser21

bweiser21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for your replies Luis, I took it to a local computer repair and my hard drive is in face dead.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Sorry to hear that, but it happens all the time...which is why backups have been suggested by MS and others ever since I began playing with computers.

It's an imperfect world, things go wrong (for someone) every second :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users