Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble During Start Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stars All Seem To Weep

Stars All Seem To Weep

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

I'm not sure how to start offf a topic so I am just goging to jump right in:

I have an hp pavillion ze4800 with the Windows XP system. About last week, I decided to leave my computer on over night so I could have quick acess to it in the morning to print a paper for school out right before I was going to be leaving. Well I was logged out of the account in which I use and the only way to acess it is to know my password which I am positive no one else knows. As I am sure you all know, there is the option to turn off the computer without logging in and my father took it upon himself to turn it off before he turned in for the night. (I asked him about this and was resured that it was him and no one else) When I went to turn it on the next afternoon (since I did not have time for it to start up and load before school) I receieved this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous starup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or REset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent setting that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until windows starts: 0

Then after the countdown of seconds until windows starts a line comes up underneath of it that looks something along the lines of this. ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Finally, after another 2 or 3 minutes, a message comes up underneath of the lines:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\c_1252.nls

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tryed to select these options but none of them work:

Safe Mode

Start Windows Normally

The computer just freezes up again and I get the same message about the corrupt file.

I do not have the setup cd anymore as it was cracked when my father gave me the computer a year ago.

I would try changing the settings in the setup option when the computer first turns on but I do not know which ones to change.

I have also tryed bootting from LAN (another option when the computer is turned on) but it just starts to load and then the computer reboots itself.

I also tryed to change the boot order, but it went to the same message that said We apologize for the inconvenience but.....

Thank you in advance and I any more information is needed, just ask.
-Stars :thumbsup:
A penny saved is a congressional oversight -Hal L

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Unless you have a recovery partition (some HP'S do) you will probably have to order the 8 disk set of recovery cd's from HP.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Stars All Seem To Weep

Stars All Seem To Weep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

I'm sorry....I'm not quite sure what a recovery partition is...thank you for your help though Gunner!

I think I just might order that disk set...

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

How old is the HP computer and did it come with any HP "Restore" disks?

If it didn't, there is probably a recovery partition on which HP installed the software for them.

"HP Recovery
Hewlett Packard has made it convenient to recovery your original factory settings. We recommend you follow the instructions below if tyring to recover with the disks that came with your PC when you first opened the package.

If your HP computer did NOT come with disks, it's quite possible the recovery files are on a hidden partition on the drive. In this case, you should follow the START menu to restore your PC to factory condition."

Much more at:
http://www.pctechbytes.com/hprecovery.htm

#5 Stars All Seem To Weep

Stars All Seem To Weep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

It's about 2 and a half years old.
The disks I have for it are as follows:

HP Image Zone Disk 2
HP Image Zone Plus Disk 3
Camera Suite 1.3
InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2
Microsoft Windows XP Critical Security Updates
Easy CD & DVD Creator 6
Norton AntiVirus 2004

I have the cracked disk in front of me. It's the Driver Recovery CD.
I am assuming this is the disk that is the original setup CD Rom

thank you for your help Enthusiast. I will take a look at the website and let you all know what comes of it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

None of what you listed are restore disks.

Click on start/ all programs and see if you have an entry for HP Tools.

If you do, follow the directions on the link I listed previously:

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hprecovery.htm

It will also tell you how to use the recovery disks you can order from HP, but if you have the tools onboard, it is much easier.

If the system won't boot it tells you how to access the HP recovery before Windows tries to boot.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 February 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#7 Stars All Seem To Weep

Stars All Seem To Weep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

I followed the directions on the website for getting to the recovery point without the CD by pressing F10 continuosly until it goes to the recovery board and at first it worked and it said Starting Diagnostic but then it went back to this screen and froze.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous starup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or REset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until windows starts: 0

I think I am going to go ahead and order the recovery disks that your mentioned. Thank you for the help! I'll let y'all know how it works out.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

Did you disconnect the printer and whatever else did not originally come with the computer as the directions stated?

The recovery cd that HP will send you will be exactly the same as what you already have in your computer. It will be designed for the original configuration your computer was in when it was new, just as it is in the recovery partition on your computer. The fact that you could access it shows it will work.

Did you follow the directions to update the recovery partition for SP1 or SP2? If you didn't, and the computer has been updated the restore won't work, which is probably what you experienced.

Which choice did you make? The non-destructive restore or the "advanced" restore, the destructive complete restore?

If the non-destructive restore didn't work, follow the directions exactly, disconnect all the peripherals (printer, etc) including whatever you may have installed in the computer that didn't come with it, ie, possibly a DVD burner if it didn't come installed in the computer when it was new, a second hard drive, an agp or pci video card, etc. Anything that didn't come with the computer originally. Just unplug them and disconnect them from the IDE (ribbon) cable if applicable, or unplug from the USB ports, etc.

Then shutdown the computer and use the method they explain to access the recovery partition before Windows starts.

Then choose the destructive, full restore.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, see if your dad will do it (if he is computer literate).

You must follow the directions on the web page exactly!!!

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 February 2006 - 09:05 PM.

#9 Stars All Seem To Weep

Stars All Seem To Weep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

So I decided to show my dad everything you have helped me with so far, and he agrees with everything you say.
Although, he decided to look for some disks that may have possibly come with my ze4800 and he found the recovery disk 1 of 3.

So this is what happened when I put it in.

First screen:

Setting up for the HP Pavilion recovery.....

Error - The hard disk was not found!

Recover was aborted.

If you have a hard disk installed, the cables may be loose or the disk may not be initialized.

You may need to run the FDisk program to initialize the disk.
Use extreme caution with FDisk!
FDisk will perform a low-level format on the disk and all data will be lost.

C:\>

then it wants you ti either put in the command FDisk or or you can get out of this by pressing escape. If I put in the command FDisk I get this screen:

Your computer has a disk larger then 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives, and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive.

IMPORTANT: If you enable large disk support and create any drives on this disk, you will not be able to acess the new drive(s) using other operating systems, including some versions of Windows 95 and Windows NT, as wells as earlier versions of Windows and MS-DOS. In addition, disk utilities that were not designed explicitly for the FAT32 file system will not be able to work with this disk. If you need to acess this disk with other operating systems or older disk utilities, do not enable large drive support.

Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N).........? [y}

what do you think would be the best thing for me to do?
Thank you so much, I hope I am not frustrating you too much....

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

That sounds like the disk you are trying to use was from an old computer - not the one you have, and besides, if you only have one out of three it isn't any good anyway. You probably have the disk formatted for NTFS which would be why Linux couldn't read it.

Make sure the connections to the hard drive are tight, the IDE cable pressed all the way in on the motherboard and the hard drive, and all the other directions on the HP instruction page have been followed, and then use the destructive recovery you access before windows starts (which will automatically reformat the disk).

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 February 2006 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users