Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot & shutdown issues. PC boots normally only after system restore. Cannot shutdown normally.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

A friends PC has some issues with booting & shutting down / logging off. I'm posting this on behalf of him. He doesn't have much experience with computers.

I have seen the computer in person earlier today.

Manufacturer: Toshiba
Model: Satellite Pro L40 I believe.
RAM: 1Gb.
Processor: Intel Celeron
Graphics: Unknown whether Laptop has graphics card & being used, or is using on-board graphics (I did not think about this earlier)

Hard disk
capacity approx 60Gb
- Two partitions visible via "My Computer":
Partition 1 - C:\ - OS - size approx 19Gb. ~ 16GB free.
Partition 2 - D:\ - Data - size approx 51Gb. Hardly any space used.

Summary of boot / shutdown related issues
Normal boot -> after user logs in mouse cursor appears but screen is black
Last know configuration -> after user logs in mouse cursor appears but screen is black
Safe mode -> after user logs in mouse cursor appears but screen is black
Safe mode with networking -> not tried.
Log off / shutdown issue (see 2. below)

Startup repair finds no issues.

System restore works allows PC to boot normally (see below), but boot problem always reoccurs after restart (see 1. below).

1. Using system restore was able to restore PC to restore point in January successfully, and after restarting, user logs in
boots up normally. (User has multiple restore points in past)

2. When restarting / shutting down PC, it gets to "logging off" notification screen with blue hollow circle, but does not progress from this.
Have to turn off PC by holding down power button.

3. After PC has been switched back on, go round in circle back to ***** above.

Other issues I noticed:
Problem running Disk Defragmenter - double click on shortcut file, then after accepting UAT prompt to run the program, it does not show.

When moving files on desktop (via e.g. select, drag & drop or cut and paste), files get moved successfully however notifications do not close afterwards. The notifications can be minimised to the taskbar.

Notes:
Was unable to get DDS / OTL on system to run scans since no USB key to hand earlier. (I see that DDS & OTL logs aren't allowed in this sub-forum anyway actually)

User does not have internet at home, but able to get tools onto PC via usb / CD, and use internet elsewhere.

Incomplete MBAM quick scan found no issues - went up to scanning registry before having to cancel it due to time available. Definitions are outdated though.

Last time was in normal mode (after using system restore) I freed up 500Mb of disk space using cleanmgr.

MsConfig is on selected startup when I first looked at PC. I disabled some non-Microsoft services also. No change to issues.

User said that he did get BSOD's before, but I couldn't replicate these in time I had available.

There are updates for Windows / MS products available - notification in task tray.

User would like to back up his files first, then if possible would like help fixing issues in preference to reinstalling windows. Willing to do re-installation if needed, and understand that Windows product key is on back of his PC.

Please advise of how to fix boot & shutdown problems, then "other issues"?

Thanks
dev00790

Edited by dev00790, 04 March 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

I would start with

a. Hard drive diagnostic, long test.

b. Followed by chkdsk /r if no issues during diagnostic.

c. Followed by defrag if no issues with first two steps.

<<Partition 1 - C:\ - OS - size approx 19Gb. ~ 16GB free>>

Is that correct as stated? Seems somewhat anomalous to me.

Louis

#3 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi Louis,

I've asked my friend for further information on his hard drive partitions so I know which manufacturer's software to look for for doing a) following your post below

Regards,
dev00790

Edited by dev00790, 04 March 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Regards, dev00790

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#4 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hi Louis,

It's a Fujitsu HDD, branded Toshiba.

Toshiba MK1237 GSX ATA.
38.7Gb used, 55.8 Gb capacity.

I've asked him to download & run Fujitsu HDD diagnotic tool ("fjdtwin.exe"), and let me know the results. I'll post back when I hear from him.

dev00790

Regards, dev00790

#5 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hi Louis,

I've asked him to download & run Fujitsu HDD diagnotic tool ("fjdtwin.exe"), and let me know the results. I'll post back when I hear from him.

No luck with that software - it doesn't allow him to do diagnostic tests on it.

Toshiba MK1237 GSX ATA.
38.7Gb used, 55.8 Gb capacity.

Do you know any others that would be worth trying? If not I'm thinking about telling him to move onto step b?

a. Hard drive diagnostic, long test.

b. Followed by chkdsk /r if no issues during diagnostic.

c. Followed by defrag if no issues with first two steps.

Regards,
dev00790

Regards, dev00790

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Toshiba HD Diagniostic Tools

I would ensure that he is trying to use the appropriate diagnostic...as intended to be used.

If so, then (IMO) the message is clear re the functionality of that drive if the diagnostic cannot/does not detect/run properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users