Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely removing store user ID from demo comp.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CZSteve

CZSteve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

I bought a store demo laptop that they made too good of an offer on.
Everything is fine except there is still some reference to the store loaded user ID.

The store associate removed the store loaded password and upon getting home I changed the user ID to my name; thought all was good at this point.
System is an HP DV-6108 w/ a finger print scanner.

Upon setting up the scanner to be used for locking & un-locking windows I can see the store ID again.
When locked you see the 'finger print' logo that's identified with the store ID. I can click on the 'Switch credentials' and see two users to choose from - myself and the store ID.
Within the C drive: There is a User folder labeled with the store ID w/ a 'lock' symbol over the folder. If I try to delete this folder I get a message that unable to do so as this folder is 'In Use'.

My finger swipe unlocks without any problem but I would obviously like to get rid of the store ID.
Is this something I can do from here? If so, please explain to this simpleton... :)
Or, with the lock symbol over the user folder does this indicate that I need to return to the store for them to address with there access code?

Thanks,
Steve

Edited by CZSteve, 04 March 2012 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

If the computer has not yet been registered with HP, then it should have a one year warranty. Try calling HP customer support at 1-800-474-6836. Follow the prompts. Once you have a tech. Tell him you want to register a new computer. Once the computer is registered. You can ask for technical help. Make sure you explain how you obtained the computer. And tell them about the BIOS password issue. They may suggest performing a system recovery. By doing this you will erase all user information and return the computer to factory state. At that point, you can call HP support back after the recovery and they can continue to assist you in setting up your new computer. There are plenty of other ways of removing the BIOS password. One way is to reset the motherboard jumpers near the CMOS battery. But, this requires advanced computer knowledge. In your case, I'd call the HP support. It's free for 1 year. So, why not?

Edited by Nephilim1955, 04 March 2012 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users