Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace case fan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fully

fully

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

The fan on my Dell Dimension 9100 is making a straining noise at start up and my guess is it's on the way out. I'd like to replace it before it goes completely. However it seems a little more complicated that other PCs I have dealt with. The fan is at the front and it seems as if the shroud and some clipped cables may need removing first? (See Pic). Has anyone replaced a fan in this model or a similar one before? Thanks
Attached File  fan3.jpg   53.58KB   8 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I can't really see much from the picture. I have worked on that model before and from what I remember it is really straight forward. Remove the cables from the retaining clips on the shroud which will probably require removing them from the motherboard. Just note where they plugged in at. The shroud is only held in place either with a few plastic clips which are depressed by finger or a few screws. Sorry I can't remember which. Measure the fan and note what kind of plug it has to the motherboard. It will be either three pin or four pin. Then when you get the replacement you will have to do it all again.

As a side note I always try to spend a few extra dollars on the a fan with high CFM's and low Db's. Quiet is better.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users