Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrive problem on WIndows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Soap86

Soap86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hello users.

I dont know what else to do here. I have a samsung portable harddrive. Its the hdd with just the usb cable, no power cable included. anyways, i recently bought me a pc from a friend but when i plug it in the rear of the pc (which is the only ports working), windows just keeps giving the connecting / detection sound over and over or other times it give the sound and then the disconnect sound and it repeats itself. ive learned that when you use a shorter cable, it actually detects and opens but then it disconnects again. i dont have this kind of problem at all when i plug it into a laptop. Strange thing also is that when i plug in a hdd with the power cable, it reads perfectly. Could it be my power supply or what?

I need help here on this one please.

thank you

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2012 - 11:56 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

It could be that the motherboard is not capable of supplying the voltage the drive needs to function properly. Is the drive USB 1,2or3? What version is the USB on the board?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 talx

talx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

is this portable hd the large type (3.5 desktop hd) or the small type (2.5 laptop hd) as i have found the large type needs a power supply, if it is the large type you should have had a power cable with it.

is your desktop older than your laptop, as Baltboy has said maybe the m/board on your desktop is not capable of supplying the power to it.

also sometimes the usb cable has 3 usb plugs on one is for extra power when also plugged into your pc.

Edited by talx, 05 March 2012 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users