Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB drive recognized as CD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

I have a Sandisk Cruzer Titainium 4MB USB drive. It is recognized as a 'CD drive' and I can't do anything with it at all. How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi again -
Quite often these are recignised as CD drives, or even an extra Main Disk drive, but they are usually labeled as just an extra drive.

Mine shows as Drive G, even though it was never designated a drive letter, but I have seen them listed as other items.

Click on it and bring up Properties, and see if it can then be recignised as the correct item that it should be.
Also be sure to "Disinfect / Clean" it fully after you have used it to be sure it is not containing parts of your CD downloads -

Thank You -

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

According to Amazon.com, the "SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive" is a U3 smart drive, complete with the following U3 programs: * CruzerSync synchronization tool * SignupShield password manager * SKYPE "Make video calls from PC to PC" * AVAST virus scan.

U3 Flash drives are typically mounted as a CDROM drive in my experience. It's their technology. It won't autostart on Win 7 due to security updates to inactiviate the autorun.inf function of drives. You may have to go into "My Computer" and double click on the drive. I haven't used U3 since Windows XP when autorun worked. You would plug the U3 drive in and it would put an icon in the task bar by the clock. Right click the icon and a menu would appear.

If you don't care about the included software and would rather revert the Flash drive back to a simple USB storage device, then follow the U3 smart drive link above. Arrow down to "Removal" and follow the links to download the Sandisk U3 Removal Tool. (Note: a windows "format" of the device will not remove all of these properties; you have to use the removal tool).

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users