Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combo Fix and Zero Access rootkit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mickfilm

Mickfilm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

My computer tech had me install and run combo fix a few months ago, or more, as I evidentially had been infected with the RootKit.Zero Access. It had disabled my mouse and key board. I was able to plug in other devices through usb ports and I ran the combo fix, and then malware bytes. I was able to regain access to my desktop, but the original mouse and keyboard with the older plugs will no longer work.

Recently I ran combo fix again and after running for a while it said my machine was infected with the RootKit.Zero Access!! It said it had been inserted into my tcp/ip stack, and that it could be hard to remove. It ran for a while longer than said it was going to re-start my machine, which it did. When it restarted I also had to log in again with my user name. I had disable my security essentials anti-virus prior to running combo fix, but after the reboot it came back on with the restart.

I also ran Malware bytes and it found noting.

Today I clicked on the combo fix icon and it said combo fix had expired, asking it i wanted to run it in limited functionality or something to that effect. I clicked yes and it deleted the icon from my desktop and did nothing else.

Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hello having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you posted earlier.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users