Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Won't go Beyond Win Logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 KatVonZ

KatVonZ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

My Dell laptop is having some trouble. It is only a couple years old. Yesterday, it made a short sorta wonky sound. Then, today, it will not load beyond the windows logo.

When I try to start in safe mode, it runs down a big list of system files then stops and hangs..says "please wait"...then never proceeds.

I tried to go back to the last good config, and it said it does not have one. Also..apparently I never set a restore point on this computer. (doh!)

I have unplugged it. Taken out the battery. Let it rest. Sung it a song (ok, kidding about the last one).

Am I SOL? I have a few Quickbooks and HRBlock tax files on there that would be a real pain to re-create! If you can help me restore a folder, or, better yet, get back in.......I'd sure appreciate it.

Kat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I will add that I have also tried to run the "Startup Repair several times, to no avail.

And once........once...it did get through and went to the user log in screen. But, when I tried to log on, it just went to black screen and hung.

It is an Inspiron 1545, if that matters.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hi

Here are some questions :)

Was there anything else unusual going on with it besides the weird sound it made? Like newly installed programs, or any errors.

Does it continue to make the "short sorta wonky sound" or was that only the one time?

and something to try...

If it is not making the sound anymore (if it is we need to talk about the sound first) then plug in the AC adapter and try to boot it in Safe Mode again. This time when it gets to the point that it seems to not be doing anything, leave it there for like an hour. Sometimes, they eventually boot up. If it does, then we'll see if we can figure out what went wrong and you should get your important files for QB and H&R off of it and onto a flash drive (just in case).

If that does not work, there is more to try. Let us know what happens.

James

#4 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Wonky sound is gone...it just happened once yesterday.

I will do what you suggested.

#5 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

I can get to x:\windows\system32>

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

I can get to x:\windows\system32>

I'm not sure what you mean by that :) It sounds like either a command prompt in the "Repair Your Computer > System Recovery Options" or you went into "Safe Mode with a Command Prompt". Is that what you did?

If so, that's a good sign. Try starting it normal and if it hangs anywhere, leave it for awhile and see if it comes up or not.

If not, let me know what you did to get there.

James

#7 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

It was in the "repair your computer" option. I am in the command prompt area now and saving individual files to a flash drive. But, starting up the computer does not work. It just hangs. I figured I had better get these files now, just in case.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Okay, I know what that is now. You saw an actual Window that said "x:\windows\system32" in the bar at the top and it would not let you do anything, right?

If you have any difficulty getting your files let us know.

I need to look up some stuff about that problem (I've seen it but never fixed one myself), meanwhile someone else may know the solution to that one and chime in.

James

#9 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi James. Yes. I got into the Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe ZDOS screen and was able to change to the C prompt and use the copy command. I have been copying my files to a flash drive. Some of my files seem to be missing/empty and I am not able to see any of the program files. But, many are there and seem to be copying ok to the flash drive.

#10 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

It appears as if any file that I have opened since Feb 28 or so is gone. It must be a virus. Darn it.

Should I just save what I can and do a re-install??

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi

It's an interesting coincidence that you would say that.

I just talked to someone I know about your situation and they said it sounds like a virus they have seen :(

You can try a cleaning here at this forum with one of the experts. They are incredibly good.

Post a message in the Am I Infected subforum...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Here are some guidelines for posting there...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic41987.html

Wish I had better news for you.
James

#12 KatVonZ

KatVonZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for the info. Darn Viruses. I guess I need to upgrade from AVG Free and stop being such a cheap-skate. :)

I was able to save the files I TRULY needed......except one...but I think I have a backup of that one from a week or so ago and can re-create what I did since then.

Ironically..I just recently purchased the backblaze service for my work and desktop computer...but not the laptop. Figures that would be the one to crash. Ha.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Refererence: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic444966.html/page__p__2619578#entry2619578 .

Now that you have an open topic in the Am I Infected forum, this topic is closed to prevent confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users