Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Laptop Query

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

We're looking to replace my wife's ancient laptop and I'm looking at the HP Pavilion G6 series. The models I'm mulling over are:

Intel i3 2330M processor with 6Gb RAM and 500Gb H/D - 419.99

Intel B960 prcoessor with 6Gb RAM and 750Gb H/D - 399.99

Intel B960 processor with 4Gb RAM and 750Gb H/D - 369.00

I understand that there's around 10%-15% speed difference between the i3 and B960 processors and I'm assuming that won't be too great given the general, everyday tasks we'll be using it for. My main concern is whether the extra 2Gb of RAM of the two B960 units is worth the 30 expense and if so, is it worth going the minimal extra for the i3 processor, too?

Would there be a noticeable difference between the 4Gb/B960 and 6Gb/B960 units - and between the 6Gb/B960 and 6Gb/i3 models?

The overall 50 saving between the least/most expensive leaves me undecided as to where to go.

I'd welcome the opinion of those with more experience than I have on these issues.

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

I would recommend getting something like a Dell or a Toshiba and stay away from HP. the I3 is much faster and newer architecture then the other ones you listed.

the 6gig and i3 will be great.

#3 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thanks, Bleepin Madman, for your post.

I'm still weighing up the options from the overwhelming number of models to choose from. It seems that the make/model of any given spec loved by some is hated by others, which makes the situation even more confusing.

But I'll get there in the end and just hope I make a decent choice.

Thanks again for your input.

David

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

You should also check out Asus laptops as they make reliable laptops at a impressive price for it's performance.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

For general brand comparisons: Readers' Choice Awards for Laptops/Desktops 2011 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

Regards,
Brooks

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

General rule of thumb for laptops. For daily use get the best you can afford since they have very limited upgrade options. Get the screen size you can live with for several years.

I like the Lenovo for their service network availability. Their Thinkpad (Business) line is very durable, Just not spiffy looking like the HP you mentioned.

Toshiba is good.

Acer is usually inexpensive.

I myself have a self built tower in the home.
I also have a Acer I bought new for $329 US + Tax, I use it two or three hours a month, for that price trumped other considerations. It gets so little use it still looks new.

I also have a slightly Older Toshiba I prefer as it is faster and is not as wide screen as the Acer.

I bumped performance on all of them by switching to a SSD drive.
I did a SSD install with a clone of the original boot drive and it boots approx 6 time faster now. He loves the improvement in performance.

You might want to look at models with a SSD drive.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input since my last post.

Killerx525, according to the helpful 'Readers Choice' list kindly supplied by Artrooks, Asus scores pretty high and so maybe I should take a closer look.

Thanks for the link Artrooks - I know there are those who advise caution about giving too much weight to stats and tables but it certainly provides a helpful overview and I'm grateful for that.

Rotor123, it's funny you should give Lenovo a creditable mention because I was putting a cheap G575 which had a very low end AMD C50 processor through it's paces today in a store and I was impressed by the feel and understated look of the thing (or, lack of 'spiff' as you might put it). This led me to check out this model http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G570-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B005UB6OVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1331161702&sr=1-4 which comes in a variety of specs and I assume the lower spec models are a little less expensive than the Thinkpad, yet fine for what I need. Lenovo also happens to score well on the list Artrooks supplied.

I called into a branch of Staples today to check out this Fujitsu which seems reasonably priced for the spec: http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/computing/computing/ah531-laptop?r=bf It was quite impressive apart from the mouse keys which were a little 'clunky' and on a purely cosmetic note the high gloss finish wasn't exactly to my taste.

As you can see I'm starting to get a little distracted from the HP G6 - although matters weren't helped when I tried the classier looking HP dv6 model today which had a brushed silver finish to both case and pad keys which understandably gave it a smoother feel, together with a dedicated Radeon HD6490M 1Gb graphics card. But that was starting to take me a little above budget.

I take what you say about Toshiba, I keep reading good things about them. But somehow I don't take to the feel of them, at least the ones I've tried out in my price range.

I like the idea of the self built tower btw - wish I had the nous and confidence to do that. It must be very satisfying (and probably cheaper, spec for spec) to put together something which is exactly to your own requirement in every way.

Thanks again, everyone - I'll post my final choice, even though no doubt it will meet with the disappointment of some. But I think that's just how it is when it comes to laptop choice.

Kind regards

David

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

The Lenovo G series are quite solid and great value as i got my dad the G550 for only $400 AUD. They may not look attractive but they are reliable. I know the HP has the nicer brush sliver finish but there Pavilion series are just unreliable. I would always choose reliability over looks. One thing to note is the DV6 models has rocky past history of overheating.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for that, killerx525. i've been trawling the computer stores again today and found myself liking the Lenovo G570 (i5/6GbRAM/750GbHDD) despite it's determination to be among the most bland looking laptops in the store.

During my search I also found myself drawn to a very reasonably priced Acer Aspire 5750 (i5/6GbRAM/500GbHDD) and later found a cosmetically identical 5749 that had the less powerful i3 processor with 6GbRAM/750HDD which was also well priced. Btw, all three of these laptops are 15.6in screen and have integrated Intel HD300 graphics.

I remember agreeing with rotor123 when he said:

General rule of thumb for laptops. For daily use get the best you can afford since they have very limited upgrade options. Get the screen size you can live with for several years.

Then again, I suppose that applies to processing and graphic power too - but with an eye on cost you have to draw the line somewhere.

Having taken a liking to the Acer and noticed that they score pretty average in the 'Award' list provided by Artrooks, I was wondering what the general opinion is of them around here. I'm guessing they're a kind of middle of the road, vanilla flavoured unit, would that be about right? It seemed a pretty solid, well made laptop, it had a bright, vibrant screen and I liked the keyboard and general feel of it.

Also, all other things being equal, is the extra power of the i5 processor worth the 15% price increase of the i3?

David

Edited by The Boy David, 08 March 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

My opinion on Acer laptops are they are low build quality laptops but offer great value.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users