Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone help me clean my boots?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CajunCornDogs

CajunCornDogs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

There's no actual error, everything is working properly...just not the way I'd like it to be.

So here's the situation:

I'm currently a computer science student (as I'm sure many of you are), but I guess I'm not a very good one because I'm not confident enough to mess around with my boot loaders (yes, I have two unfortunately) to try and fix this myself. Sometimes I get a wild hair and like to play around with different operating systems. At the moment, I have Bodhi Linux and Windows 7 installed. First, I'd like to uninstall Bodhi Linux (I'd like to install a different flavor, maybe you guys can help me decide which one?). I think I can manage that, but then again, after I uninstalled Ubuntu the option to boot into it stayed on my Windows Boot Manager so I guess I just want to make sure I'm doing this stuff in the best order and cleanest way possible.

Here's what happens when I boot up my computer right now:

1)
GNU GRUB Version 1.98-1ubuntu12:
Bodhi Linux -some option to boot into Bodhi
Bodhi Linux -some other option to boot into Bodhi
a couple of other things, specific locations on HDD I believe.
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sdbl)

Generally I choose the Windows 7 loader (I never took much of a liking to Bodhi), and it's kind of a pain that it automatically boots into Bodhi if I'm not there to select the Windows loader. I'm sure this can be changed easily, but I'd like to remove this step altogether (along with Bodhi, and GRUB at least for now).

2)
Windows Boot Manager:
Windows 7
Ubuntu (this is actually uninstalled, but still shows up as an option).

I'd like to completely remove step 1. I'd like to uninstall GRUB and Bodhi Linux (this is the part that I don't want to just jump into without being completely sure that I don't lose the path to Windows or anything like that). I'd also like to replace that broken Unix selection in the Windows Boot Manager with a new, working alternate OS (maybe even Ubuntu again). So, here's what I'm trying to get to:

1)
Windows Boot Manager:
Windows 7
Ubuntu (or maybe a different one, but some newly installed OS that isn't Bodhi).

I know how to install and uninstall an OS, but I guess I don't know how to do either well enough to control how I end up booting into them. I need help doing these things properly instead of just following the common sense steps which may lead to some heartache when my computer doesn't know where to find Windows Boot Manager without GRUB or something. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

well for starters, I would do this:

1) Reformat the entire drive cleaning it from Windows and Linux Installations

2) Install Windows First

3) Install Linux Next this will put GRUB on the master boot record with both Windows and Linux enabled. Then if you wantto reinstall a Linux distro Grub will already be installed and should detect this and make the necessary edits to the GRUB list of boot able OSs.

This will clean up your boots.

I only recommend this route due to multiple boot records being in place.

#3 CajunCornDogs

CajunCornDogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

well for starters, I would do this:

1) Reformat the entire drive cleaning it from Windows and Linux Installations

2) Install Windows First

3) Install Linux Next this will put GRUB on the master boot record with both Windows and Linux enabled. Then if you wantto reinstall a Linux distro Grub will already be installed and should detect this and make the necessary edits to the GRUB list of boot able OSs.

This will clean up your boots.

I only recommend this route due to multiple boot records being in place.

Is there any way to do this without reformatting and re-installing Windows? I was hoping that I'd able to simply change the way I get to my current installation without wiping everything clean.

Edited by CajunCornDogs, 03 March 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Well there is, but if ya mess up you will make both oses inoperable.

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

caj as cryp said it can be done but i would strongly suggest you do what he advise and do a clean install of win7 first and then add your linux distr. just a suggestion linux mint 11 or 12 is a good one imho. good luck!
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users