Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons/start Menu Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrsMcMullin

MrsMcMullin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hi all. When clicking on my desktop shortcuts nothing happens. The icons becomes highlighted, then nothing. Same thing with everything in the Start menu. Nothing will open out of there. Now, a few things will open when i click on them just on the desktop such as my yahoo messenger and Irfan View, and a few others, but the rest do nothing. My quick launch bar does work.

I defragged a couple of days ago. I have run 4 diffenert virus/spy/ad removal programs. I even reinstalled Windows XP the other day.

Can anyone help me??

~Monica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

How did you reinstall XP? Did you reformat and do a complete install or did you use one of the repair options?

If you did a new installation you will have to reinstall the programs.

#3 MrsMcMullin

MrsMcMullin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

Well, I reinstalled completely, i think. But it did NOTHING to my original admin. name. It just had me create another account.

But the desktop and start menu aren't working on that name either.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

When you boot the computer does it list Windows XP twice and give you a choice of which to boot from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users