Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD reporting wrong capacity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nayr747

Nayr747

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

The drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that's reporting only 118 GB capacity. The problem occurred after I tried to boot from a 120 GB Western Digital HDD in an external enclosure attached to the laptop via USB. I have formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows XP, tried to resize in device manager, tested it with Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools, looked for any options in the Dell BIOS, tried FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, etc. in the recovery console, all with no luck. I'd like to use the HDD Capacity Restore program but I don't have a desktop or a cable to hook it up to make it work. According to what I've read, the program fixes the LBA48, HPA and DCO records that were corrupted causing the drive to report the wrong capacity. Does anyone know a manual way I could go about fixing these?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Well...what system specs exist...system manufacturer and model?

When you reinstalled XP...what SP is reflected within that version?

Post a screen shot from Disk Management, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

The size you are seeing is normal for a WIndows XP with no Service Packs.

You Need to use a XP with service packs to utilize the whole drive at setup time.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Nayr747

Nayr747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

It says it's XP Media Center Edition version 2002 service pack 2. Screenshot is attached. Thanks for you help!

Attached Files

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hi

In that Computer Management screen that you have pictured...

Right click on DISK 0
Choose Properties
On the GENERAL tab by the picture of the hard drive, what does it say?

James

#6 Nayr747

Nayr747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I fixed the problem. I used the SeaTools option to restore to native capacity, and it worked! The rest was an unallocated partition which I resized with EaseUS Partition Master. I wish I would have known about the SeaTools program before I reformatted, but oh well.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Glad you were able to solve it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users