Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Faster with DSL than HS Cable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 frank1492

frank1492

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

I have two services, Verizon DSL with max. mbps download speed of approx. 1.5 and Charter cable with max. mbps of 15.
Firefox is much slower with the cable than the DSL. The speeds have been verified with speedtest.net. Ping for the DSL runs about 25ms while for the cable it is in the 300's.
I use Vista.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? What other tests should I try?
Thanks.
Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

First thing I'd do is reboot my cable box but I'm assuming you've already done that. Usually problems with speed on cable connection is either caused by the cable company not having enough bandwidth to go around during peak hours on your node, or you could have a cabling issue. Too many splitters on the coax cable or a loose connection can cause serious speed problems. Is the speed faster during non-peak hours? Do you have another computer around to test with to make sure that it's not just a issue on that particular PC?

#3 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

First thing I'd do is reboot my cable box but I'm assuming you've already done that. Usually problems with speed on cable connection is either caused by the cable company not having enough bandwidth to go around during peak hours on your node, or you could have a cabling issue. Too many splitters on the coax cable or a loose connection can cause serious speed problems. Is the speed faster during non-peak hours? Do you have another computer around to test with to make sure that it's not just a issue on that particular PC?

Thank you. I have yet to reboot, but why don't the speedtest figures speak for themselves? I use the Charter for Vudu and the Vudu test also confirms the bandwidth, plus I have no problem with buffering. I still have the problem in non-peak hours. When I try to go to a website (using Charter cable) there is an unusually long delay before anything starts to happen and then loading occurs erratically.

#4 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just to add, I have no other PC but doesn't the fact that the DSL is fast and the cable isn't confirm it's not a PC problem?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

You should probably call Charter and get them to check all connections in your house and in the street. They will be reluctant to do this because to them it's an expensive fishing expedition. But all it takes is one faulty connection to mess things up. The other thing you should discuss with them is speed throttling. These days most cable companies have at least three levels of service and throttling has become a hot button topic. Maybe they need to upgrade their equipment in your area. I know users are reluctant to call their ISP because it's like talking to a brick wall and you never get the same answer twice. But sometimes you have no choice and the likely solution to your problem lies with them.

#6 Susanherna

Susanherna

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

The name Charter should say it all. Their service sucks! When our local telephone company got fiber optic, we dumped them. Too slow, too many outages, etc.

#7 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

The name Charter should say it all. Their service sucks! When our local telephone company got fiber optic, we dumped them. Too slow, too many outages, etc.

Thanks but still asking why several speed tests agree that the speed is just fine (with a slow ping.)

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Because the speed test is irrelevant as it relates to your cable company's level of service.

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? What other tests should I try?

The Windows TRACERT(Trace Route) Utility or the Pathping command will display more information than the results of a ping test. If you use the Pathping command be patient, it takes a few minutes to complete.

More about TRACERT and Pathping from Wikipedia.

#10 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Because the speed test is irrelevant as it relates to your cable company's level of service.

...and by "level of service" you mean??

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Meaning if they are throttling your internet or there is a defective connection, it won't be reflected in a speed test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users