Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup.exe won't run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bcommercial

Bcommercial

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

W2k, 1 gig ram, 80 gig HD, lots of free space. Program is MT4 (Metatrader4) demo-version and was previously installed and uninstalled at different times from different sources. Demo versions usually expire after a limited time, hence the frequent new installs. Now none of the setup.exe files will run, even versions downloaded from completely different sources to previously ... I click on them but nothing happens except the hourglass for a second, though it shows up as running in task manager. I'm assuming some of the previous uninstalls weren't quite cleanly done, (or maybe there's some blocking code inserted to discourage repeat installs?...though hardly as I'd already installed/uninstalled this program many times before without problems). Anyway, I've downloaded other programs just to test that their setup.exe's also run which they do no problem...it's just these MT4 setup.exe's that won't. Some of the MT4 setups are just a few hundred KB's (which I assume are just to initiate the proper download, while others are perhaps up to 10 MB's and probably include all necessary files already...but either way, none of these setup.exe's will run. I don't personally think it's a windows installer problem since all other setup.exe's run fine and I think the registry might be corrupted somewhere....but then what do I know! ;). Anyway, I've already googled as much as I can on the matter but still haven't solved it ... any ideas most welcome!

OOOOOPS!! Just noticed Wrong Thread ... I saw "professional" and thought W2K professional..will try copy n' paste to W2K thread and then delete..sorry everyone!

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2012 - 08:55 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

<<Program is MT4 (Metatrader4) demo-version and was previously installed and uninstalled at different times from different sources. Demo versions usually expire after a limited time, hence the frequent new installs.>>

Since demo versions are (IME) geared to cease responding or fail to install...once the designated period has passed...I don't believe that we can address your failures now, regardless of what may have transpired in the past.

My experience says that the software .exes are not necessarily supposed to work properly...under the conditions you have referenced in your post.

This is not a Windows O/S issue, IMO...in fact, you are attempting to violate the EULA governing that application's demo status, which is a questionable activity.

You may want to read the forum rules that prevail here...link in my signature.

I believe the following may apply to your behavior/topic: "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Just a quick extra to the post from hamluis -
MT5 is the newly developed operating system now - I am not sure of free use as I do not use the program -
Details are available at the Meta Trader Forum. Please see if the free version is still supported.
A quote below is from Wiki related to the program ->

In 2010 MetaQuotes released a successor, MetaTrader 5, however uptake was slow and as of early 2012 most brokers still used MT4.

EDIT - Please see their own forum -
This is about all I can say (and this may be a bit too much)
You did not post an answer ; you just quoted hamluis -

Edited by noknojon, 02 March 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#4 Bcommercial

Bcommercial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hi hamluis,

Just to set you and others at ease, the MT4 is a free to download charting program for forex trading, and is supplied by forex brokers as just one of many platforms to access their trading services. The "demo" versions are still full programs which you may freely use afterwards for as long as you wish, it is only the access to each particular broker's data feeds which is time-limited ( You get a time limited password to log in because they want you to stop demo trading and start spending real money as soon as possible of course!), and hence the need to re-register with them each time anew if you're not yet at that stage for "live" trading, and presumably download and re-install the program each time too. Actually, you've just got me thinking that I perhaps needn't have had to download anew each time, but perhaps the old versions could have been left and I might have been able to just use the new access passwords each time instead ...ah well, too late now!

Hope this was understandable and has solved your concerns.

#5 Bcommercial

Bcommercial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Just a quick extra to the post from hamluis -
MT5 is the newly developed operating system now - I am not sure of free use as I do not use the program -
Details are available at the Meta Trader Forum. Please see if the free version is still supported.
A quote below is from Wiki related to the program ->

In 2010 MetaQuotes released a successor, MetaTrader 5, however uptake was slow and as of early 2012 most brokers still used MT4.

EDIT - Please see their own forum -
This is about all I can say (and this may be a bit too much)
You did not post an answer ; you just quoted hamluis -

Yeah sorry N, I'm not that familiar with the posting and pressed return too soon before I had even written the reply to Luis. Concerning the MT4 which is free I'm absolutely sure of, I'll definitely try out that MT4 site you linked for me thanks, however I still think it's a windows problem and maybe something with the registry ...will check out what the MT4 forum guys have on that and will get back.

Actually this isn't even the correct thread here and I had intended deleting it as soon as I'd posted it on W2K thread, but since there's ongoing dialog here I'll leave it for another bit yet if that's ok.

Edited by Bcommercial, 02 March 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

FAQ

A demo account is good for 90 days, beginning the first day of sign-up. On the 90th day, your account will become inactive. If you require additional time before opening a live account, you may register for more than one demo account on either of our platforms. Also, you may email our Support Depatment to request an extension for a demo account. Based on certain terms and conditions customers with active live accounts can also have non-expiring demo accounts.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users