Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Check Virus Residual Effects Access Denied & Read Only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbousque

jbousque

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I was infected with the Security Check virus. Before I went on line and found the instructions for removing this virus I Restored to a previous version from 12/30 (2 months ago). This seemed to do the trick. All many of my files could now be seen. Some were still hidden so I ran unhide and that fixed that problem. I tried following the removal instructions for Security Check. I ran RKILL and there were no services stopped. I ran Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything. I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and it didn't find anything either. I am still having 2 problems:

1. It looks like all my files are Read Only, even when I create a new file it is Read Only

2. I'm getting an error trying to open several files (mostly in the Documents and Settings and Users folders). The folders getting the error all have a square with and arrow in the left hand corner (like they are shortcuts?). When I try to open them I get and an error that Access is Denied, however, I can get to these folders from within applications, just not Windows Explorer.

I'm not sure what to do next. If anyone has ideas I will be forever grateful. Thanks!

Joanne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FiveTalentTech

FiveTalentTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

If you have an undamaged restore point from before the infection, try restoring it. It will restore your registry, which is probably where the corruption is.

#3 jbousque

jbousque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that. I restored back to 12/30/11 (2 months prior to the infection) and it did not fix these 2 issues. I don't have an older restore point available.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

I'm getting an error trying to open several files (mostly in the Documents and Settings and Users folders). The folders getting the error all have a square with and arrow in the left hand corner (like they are shortcuts?). When I try to open them I get and an error that Access is Denied

Open your C drive

On top click on TOOLS-FOLDER OPTIONS

Click on view tab

Make sure to check mark DON'T SHOW hidden files

check mark HIDE protected operating system files

Now you will not get any shortcut folders

Make sure to run UNHIDE once again

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users