Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome Screen Problem After Dwnlding Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elliott8082

elliott8082

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hello;
I am trying to get a friend's computer operational again after it has had a teenager using it for 2 years. After uninstalling a bunch of little junk programs and running Spybot, I found that it still has Service Pack 1 for Win XP Home and no updates have ever been done to any of the software. So I thought I would start there. Went to Microsoft.com to install Service Pk 2 for Home. It installed 41 updates (I guess before it will even attempt Ser Pk 2 update). When it said restart your computer it gets to the Welcome screen and when I put in her password it says loading personal settings, flickers to desktop background then says logging off, then goes right back to let you choose between the 2 users! It wasn't doing this before the updates! I turned it off completely instead of just restarting to see if that would help-it didn't. The computer was functioning before the updates, but you couldn't get anything done for all the pop-ups and junk. So I told her I would take it, download all the updates, put on a spyware (Spybot) and an anti-virus (AVG) and see if that would help. So now I am stuck. I know the basic working of the computer and programs but if it gets into trouble I'm stuck. I do follow directions very well though so if anyone can help me get out of this and advise what I need to do I would really appreciate it. It is a Dell Dimension 4550; Pen 4 2.00 GHz, 1.9 GHz HD; but only has 256 Ram. I tried to boot to safe mode and either I am doing it wrong or the computer just won't do it. I have no idea what I need to do next. I can't understand why it is doing this. I have never had any trouble downloading updates on my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

In order to install SP2 successfully the system must be free of malware.

Can you boot in safe mode?

See if you can uninstall SP2 and then start hunting for the malware that is probably present in the computer although if there are no data files you care about saving, and no programs that you cannot just reinstall you can do a fresh installation of XP which will cure all problems (except for hardware problems).

Once you do the reformat and fresh install you can install all the updates.
The Win XP firewall was not on by default until SP2, so before you connect to the internet turn it on.

Then install whatever Anti-virus application you want to use.
The AVG freeware ap is excellent and there are several other freeware AV aps as well as commercial aps, but choose one and install and update it asap.
AVG: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

The next ap which should be installed is Adaware SE freeware (but no longer offered on the Lavalys site, at least I couldn't find it yesterday, so get it from Major Geeks which hopefully still works)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Then Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection

I would also recommend installing Microsoft Defender, the replacement upgrade for the Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta which was just released this week. It also provides realtime protection.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 February 2006 - 04:33 PM.

#3 elliott8082

elliott8082
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

I did manage to get it to safe mode but when I tried to log on as administrator it does the same thing, flashes to the desktop screen (very fast) and then says saving your settings. I can't go any further! Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I don't understand what caused this. All I did was download the updates that it suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users