Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Start Up Issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 t.ollila

t.ollila

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Good morning! My name is Tyler and I would like to share and possibly get some feedback on a nagging issue I've been dealing with for about two years now.

Most times when I try to start up my computer, it will attempt to do so, only to turn off, and restart itself again and bring me to this screen.
Usually, I can amend this issue by going into my bios, locating my processors core clock speed, changing it to 133 (stock speed for my i7 920), changing it back to 150 (the speed I normally run it at), and restarting the computer. Usually, I need to do this process a few times before my computer will actually start up. Sometimes it starts up first try, and sometimes I need to do this process multiple times. This is very frustrating at times, when I just want to use my computer, and I need to fiddle around in the bios, changing the base clock on my processor to get my computer to start up. Once my computer is running, it works fine. I can also restart it no problem.I also cannot put my computer into sleep mode. When I do, it wont wake up and my monitor wont turn on (the power "on" light on the monitor ends up flashing). To fix this issue I need to flip the switch on my power supply, and then it transfers into the first issue I described. It is an annoying process, and I would love some feedback as to what the issues could possibly be.

Here are a few pictures I took of my various bios settings. You will see what I mean by my processor core clock being at 150. I wasn't exactly sure which images would be appropriate so I just uploaded a few. If different ones are needed I will be happy to upload them. Any help is appreciated and I would just like to figure out what the problem is. I've also included a dxdiag file of my system specs.

Bios 1

Bios 2

Bios 3

Bios 4

Bios 5

(hopefully the images are viewable)

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2012 - 07:24 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Please do as instructed in the following: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Just from what you've supplied so far, it looks like the increase in the Base Clock Rate is causing it to periodically be unable to supply a safe voltage to something at POST (and coming out of sleep mode). The voltage probably stabilizes and is subsequently okay at 150.

This could be the motherboard or the BIOS or the RAM's capability or even the PSU since it is an event that appears to only occur at startup.

A speccy report running at 150 compared to one at 133 might show a difference in voltages to confirm this but the problem might only be occurring at POST (the sleep mode thing is related) which would be far more difficult to detect.

Does your motherboard have an LED readout on it for debugging? That might give you a code to look up that would indicate a specific voltage problem during POST.

There are other things to try and determine what exactly is causing the instability and addressing it specifically to allow you to keep the bClock at 150 without problems but that becomes complex very quickly. If you want to 'geek out' on the subject search for
bclk i7 920
and you'll find tons of tips and tricks. :)

James

#4 t.ollila

t.ollila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Well here is the Speccy report: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ocB7zPFUDx4qEpl8lx1awbE

This is with my base clock at 150, and my computer has been running for around 8 hours. Hopefully this will clarify the issue slightly?

If needed I can produce another one with the base clock at 133. Also, the voltage idea seems probable.

Thanks

Tyler

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi Tyler

Nice system. It looks very happy.
RAM seems to be sailing along fine.
Mobo looks happy.
CPU seems cool but its core voltage looks a little on the low side for what I normally see (usually around 1.2) but it is well above Intel's low for their specs on the 920 (.8 to 1.375)

If it is falling below .8 at POST or when changing G states (ie waking from sleep) then that could be the problem. Could be a capacitor in the PSU taking longer than normal to charge up. That's really a shot in the dark though.

If you can try a different PSU, that is what I would do next being that there is nothing else that is easy to check.

Wish I had a clearer answer :(
James

#6 t.ollila

t.ollila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yeah thanks for trying :P. I don't have any other PSU I can put in to test with either.

If anyone has anything else specific they can tell me that may narrow down my issue any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Does the board have a debug LED and if so, does it display anything when you have the boot problem?

James

#8 t.ollila

t.ollila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yes is has two seven segment LED dispays. I can try and look at them next time it happens and I will get back to you. Since my computer is on at the moment, it is running fine. So when the issue happens again I will definitely take a look.

#9 t.ollila

t.ollila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Okay, it had the original issue again when starting it up and went to that first screen I posted originally. To get it to turn on like that I needed to boot it in safe mode, but I also ran another Speccy report with it like that (my processor speed was at 133): http://speccy.piriform.com/results/e0b52kqjG8adKciAT2XfTUR

Furthermore, it seems my RAM speeds also likes to change when ever my processor speed does, not sure if that is normal, but that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the report.

Also, regarding the LED debug light, when it won't start, and I'm stuck at that screen, it displays "7F" on the debug LED's. It also displays some other stuff before it finally stops at "7F", but it goes pretty quickly through a bunch of other numbers and letters its difficult to know which ones it listed.

#10 t.ollila

t.ollila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

One more quick thing, not sure if its relevant.

When my computer is running normally, with the clock speed at 150, the LED's display "FF".

Thanks

Tyler

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

7F means that overclock failed so overclock recovery had to kick in.

BCLK is the base clock so it effects more than just the CPU. The higher you make it, the more voltage it needs.

Your voltage for the CPU is still on the low end, are you changing the multiplier in addition to the bclk?

At this point it looks like you are trying to overclock it higher than it can handle (voltage wise not temperature).

I would set it all back to stock and try tweaking it a little at a time to see how far it can go and stay stable.

If you continue to have issues when it is set to the stock settings and not overclocked at all, let us know. At that point you will really need to borrow a PSU from someone to test.

James

#12 t.ollila

t.ollila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

That wouldn't be a bad idea to reset the bios to default, but I'm pretty sure my computer detects my RAM at a slower speed than its rated for.

Would you know a good guide for me to use or any resources that would help me get the RAM timings down and CPU voltages/clock correct, because I don't want to damage anything.

Do you think this could fix the issue?

Thanks

Tyler

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I've been out of the OC scene for a couple of years now (though I still watch the competitions when streamed or posted to youtube). Your best bet is find a forum with people specifically clocking for your board/CPU combo. I would expect you to be able to get the bclk up to 200 on that setup with careful tweaking and maybe some extra cooling mods.

I think your setup is fine and the issue is with the OC activity. If it is not, then I would bet money that it's the PSU. I still think it would be a good idea to test with another PSU if you get a chance.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users