Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot to windows in normal and safe mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 anbu84

anbu84

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hi,I have a problem with someone PC that I try to fix. Before this problem happened, I was installing windows updates for windows and hardware drivers(Network and intel graphic). And then after it has done installing, it prompted me to restart my computer. However before I restarted my computer, I also installed an update for adobe reader. After I done that, then I clicked restart now. Then the system restarted and now the problem happen. I couldn't boot into windows. It stopped at screen with message saying the windows didn't start properly and a recent hardware and software change might have caused this. There are also options such as safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good configuration and start windows normally. I tried to click start windows normally and last good configuration, but the screen went black for a few sec and after that the system back reboot and stop again with the message saying windows didn't restart properly. I also tried to choose safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. It loaded some files until a file named fsbts.sys then suddenly it automatically reboot then came back with the message windows didn't start properly. I tried to ran all test to check my hardware and all of them pass the test. I also tried to use windows xp installation to in-place upgrade so I can repair the windows, but it couldn't find the previous windows. I have ran chkdsk too but it's pointless. The problem still persist. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem? Thank you

Edit:I tried to disable automatic restart on system failure but no blue screen. It just went black screen and then reboot.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2012 - 07:14 PM.
Moved from Am I infected.to XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

save yourself a whole lot of time and trouble and just reinstall windows

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

save yourself a whole lot of time and trouble and just reinstall windows

Like I said in the beginning. The PC is not mine. It's belong to someone that I try to help to fix it. After all, there is no backup on the data since I didn't expect it will come to this problem. So rather than give up to save time and reinstall windows, I want to try to fix it until I don't have a choice but to reinstall it. But thank you for your reply caperjac.

Edited by anbu84, 02 March 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

At this point it sounds to me like you need to make sure that all hardware is disconnected except for a keyboard, mouse, monitor and the harddrive with the OS on it. Then see if it boots in regular or any of the safe modes.

If it still does not and you can't get it to give you any clue as to what the error is, then we can turn on boot logging and attempt to access the log file it creates using a bootdisk (I like Puppy or xPud for this).

If that still doesn't give us a solution to try then you will need to wipe it and install from scratch.

If that happens, then you need to find out if there is data on the drive that the owner wants saved. If there is, we can tell you how to try to access the disks and get the data before doing a fresh reinstall.

Lots of 'ifs' :)

James

#5 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Thank you for your reply NeverSayDie. I will try your suggestion and see if I'm able to boot the windows. Oh I was wondering when you said turn on boot logging, do you mean by using windows recovery console and try fixboot / bootcfg? I have tried fixboot but the windows still won't boot. As bootcfg, I don't quite get it how to use it so I didn't try it.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

What I mean is that when you try to boot with minimal hardware connected, if it still will not boot in normal or safe mode like you say it is doing then
We turn it on and hit F8 to bring up the menu with Safe Mode, etc. and choose the option

Enable Boot Logging

Then make a Linux bootdisk, use it to boot the machine and look at the contents of

c:\windows\Ntbtlog.txt

To see if it is stopping at a specific failed driver load.

I figured it wasn't an MBR type problem because of how far you are getting before it freezes or reboots :)

James

#7 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Ok I have tried to use minimal hardware to boot to windows, however the problem still remains the same. I also tried to remove the HD and put it in my PC but the problem is still there. So I guess I'm going to try your second suggestion which use Enable boot logging. I will download linux first and try it. I will let you know the result when I have tried it. By the way, I was wondering something so I want to ask, let say that the bad HD which has a problem boot into windows and maybe has malware or virus history, I plug it into slave channel while my good HD plugs into master channel. Can it infect my good HD in master channel?
Oh Thank you again for your fast reply

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Yes that can give you a virus if you are not careful.

Do you have reason to believe that it is infected?

I have to ask this before you go much further. You imply that it forces you to the screen that says it did not shut down right the last time where you choose how to boot it (normal, safe, etc) and no matter what you choose it starts to load but automatically reboots.

If it is hanging on a black screen instead of auto rebooting on its own, then have you left it at that black screen for two hours?

If not, you have to try that because that will often work when the issue is Windows having problems build its 'driver tree'. Leave it on that black screen for at least an hour if not two.

James

#9 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hi
Thank you for your fast reply.
Yes I believe the HD is infected with virus. In the beginning, I help someone to fix the PC from malware or virus. After I cleaned everything, I scanned and rebooted the windows and then I started to update windows, and hardware devices(network card and intel graphic). Then after windows update finished, just before I restarted the computer, I updated adobe reader and then I restarted the computer. When I restarted the computer, windows won't boot anymore.
About your question, it forces me to screen windows didn't start properly because there is hardware or software changed. In that screen, there are options safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good configuration and start windows normally. I tried start windows normally and last good configuration. Both of them gave me black screen for a few sec right after I chose those options and automatically reboot. While safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt,it load the driver until something like system32/driver/fsbts.sys then automatically reboot itself again.
So I have downloaded ubuntu and I have managed to boot in using ubuntu bootdisk during boot menu and I saw a log name windows update which shows everything I updated right before the problem happened. At the last page, it shows that FATAL: CAUClient::Launch failed, error = 0x800704DD. Is that the reason this won't boot to windows problem happen? Anyway I tried Enable Boot Logging, I chose that option then chose Windows XP Home. Right after I entered that option, it rebooted automatically. Is that suppose happen like that? And then, I bootdisked with ubuntu and look for C:windows\ntbootlog.txt but it seems I can't find it there. I guess the Boot Logging didn't happen.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:35 AM

And then, I bootdisked with ubuntu and look for C:windows\ntbootlog.txt but it seems I can't find it there.

You are looking for C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt <<< file

It would be most unusual if it were not there. Please have another look.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Hi AustrAlien, thank you for your reply
I'm sorry if I said ntbootlog.txt
I tried to look for ntbtlog.txt in Windows folder but somehow I couldn't find it.
When I google it, Smss.exe is reponsible to create that log. Is it because the Smss.exe corrupt or something, that why it didn't creat ntbtlog.txt?

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

I expect that ntbtlog.txt would have been created at some time in the past, and each time the computer was booted into Safe Mode, it would add the boot log to that file. It is usually present on all computers (unless deleted). When you attempted to "enable boot logging" the boot log of a normal Windows startup would have been added to the file.

Even when the file is deleted, the next time the system is booted into Safe Mode or boot logging is enabled, the file is re-created and the boot log added to it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

I don't know why it is gone in the windows folder. I'm sure I didn't delete it. But right now, I can't boot into safe mode because it will only load something until system32\drivers\fsbts.sys then reboot itself. I tried enable boot logging, but it also rebooted itself.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

Let's check the MBR (MasterBootRecord) for infection to see if that might be causing your boot problem. I include my "canned speech" below, using xPUD to do the task. However, you can use Ubuntu just as well:
  • About the only significant difference that I can think of is that you need to include "sudo" in the command to enter, like this:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1
  • Navigation and getting to open a terminal in the flashdrive will of course be somewhat different too, and if you are not familiar with the recent Ubuntu version, you may find this obstacle too difficult to overcome, and it may be a lot quicker and easier for you to simply use xPUD.
==========================
Please try the following: You will need a USB drive/flashdrive and a new blank writable CD.

:step1: Please do the following on a working computer:
  • Download GETxPUD.exe to the Desktop.
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
    A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and when finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
    Please be patient: This could take awhile - download file size 63MB.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
You will use this CD to boot the ailing computer from.

:step2: Boot the ailing computer with the xPUD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
    A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Click on File.
  • Expand the mnt icon on the left (click on the little arrow beside the icon).
    • sda1, sda2 etc. ...usually correspond to your HDD partitions
    • sdb1, sdc1 is likely to correspond to a USB flashdrive, external USB hard drive etc.
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?).
  • Click Tool on the top menu, and choose Open Terminal.
  • Type the following at the hash prompt:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Note: Leave a space between the following:
      • dd ... the executable application used to create the backup
      • if=/dev/sda ... the device the backup is created from (the hard drive when only one HDD exists)
      • of=mbr.bin ... the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
      • bs=512 ... the number of bytes in the backup
      • count=1 ... says to backup just 1 sector
        It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.
  • Press the <ENTER> key.
    After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin.
  • Remove the USB drive from the ailing computer.

:step3: On the working computer:
  • Insert the USB drive, and navigate to the file mbr.bin
  • Zip-up the mbr.bin file:
    • Right-click on the file and choose Send to .. > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      A zipped folder will appear in the same location as the mbr.bin file.
  • Please attach the zipped file to your next reply.
    This will allow the MasterBootRecord of your drive to be checked to see whether or not it is infected.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 anbu84

anbu84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

Hi AustrAlien
Before hand thank you for your help
I have done what you asked and also attached the file
I'm sorry to ask this but I'm really curious what the log say. Can you tell me how to view the log inside the mbr.bin?. because I want to learn thing like this. If you mind about it, I'm fine with it.
Thanks again

PS: I'm sorry, I forgot to click attach button

Edited by anbu84, 03 March 2012 - 06:38 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users