Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Account Photo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 timw128

timw128

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hello-
This may seem like a trivial matter to some, but I don't like it when my stuff doesn't work right- Sooo, those in the know, please help me. I am running XP Pro x86 2002 SP3. I am the Administrator, and there is only one User Account assigned- mine. I use the password feature to log on to Windows. I decided to download and apply a new photo to the login page and it all of a sudden doesn't work.(No photo on Start Menu, either!) It is stuck on the picture of the chess pieces. I noodled around in User Accounts, even setting up a Test acct., all to no avail. Could someone please straighten me out on this issue?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Regards-
tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Hmmm...scared???...

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

I don't think anyone is scared but even you said it's a minor issue. I'm the only person who uses my computer. I don't have a password and I don't know why you have one. It's not necessary. As far as the photo in the log in screen goes, I'm the only one who will ever see it so I don't care about it. And I think a lot of users use the same thinking.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

I am like Frankp...only user, don't login, would not/have not ever noticed whether there is a pic or not of me in User Accounts.

So...I just checked User Accounts and I see the chess pieces you refer to. There is an option to change the photo for any user account, viewed by double-clicking on the account within User Accounts. If you haven't tried that, you might.

Louis

That just worked for my account.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#5 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. 'hamluis', of course I tried what you suggested. I am well aware of the options and know how to use them. My point in the query was that they aren't working on my system, hence I posted. Yes, I am the only user. My point was that the feature isn't working and it should be. Furthermore, there is another anomaly that just started occurring- this being that when the machine goes through its boot sequence, the black screen that shows the OS and Recovery Console isn't appearing anymore. My system is clean of viral content, and it is a relative fresh install. I am just seeking answers to these issues that are a personal bother to me. Nothing more, nothing less.
Again, thank you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I can only suggest two things:

a. Run sfc /scannow as a counter to possible file corruption in Windows.

b. Run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on your drive.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#7 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hey, thanks a bunch, Louis. I was just contemplating doing this, and it appears my thoughts were fortified by your response. The HDD in the machine at present, was an 'emergency' drive I put in because of some issues I was experiencing in the other drive- Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA. I have been a little bogged down to run the lengthy Gutman wipe on it.
I'll do as you suggest with the 'sfc /scannow', as I have my back up media disk sitting right here. Last time (about 2 wks. ago) I checked this drive with SeaTools (SMART test), all was fine. The drive in discussion is a WDC WD5000AAKS-OOUU3AO 500GB/ 8MB cache piece. It is a lot slower than the Barracuda.

#8 timw128

timw128
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

HDD checked out OK on the WD Quick test, 'sfc /scannow' w/disk didn't change anything. I'm not sure what happened with the OS start up screen, but I somehow lost the Recovery Console installation. So, re-installed and now I get the screen for the 3 secs. I have it set at.
In my original post regarding the User Account picture, I have reasons to password protect my pc. For one, I don't have to worry about my significant other nor our roommate accessing my pc. I do consulting engineering work involving sensitive projects, not limited to Federal Government contractors.
I'll figure the picture matter out. I just thought I could find someone on one of these forums that may have encountered this situation.
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users