Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky gone mad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 englishman abroad

englishman abroad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

After Kaspersky Pure does its automatic update I find that AVP.exe and MSIMN.exe are using 100% of CPU.

I have reinstalled Kaspersky Pure twice but to no avail. The old KIS program never caused any problems.

Otherwise my laptop is fine, spyware and virus free, Win XP fully auto updated , 75% free disk space and plenty of RAM

PC will not restart or close down unless I press the power button.

Any advice/suggestions welcome

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Avp.exe is a process related to Kaspersky AntiVirus and Internet Security. If you do a Google Search for avp.exe High CPU, you will find this issue to be a common complaint from Kaspersky users especially at their own support forums. The Kaspersky Support Team usually asks that you post a GSI report created by their GetSystemInfo tool in a new topic at their forums so they can provide individual assistance.

MSIMN.exe is a process related to Microsoft Outlook. If you do a Google Search for MSIMN.exe high cpu, again you will find this issue to be a common complaint with various suggestions and solutions. There has also been a history of issues with MSIMN.exe and Kaspersky as discussed in this topic thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 englishman abroad

englishman abroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Many Thanks quietman 7 for your advice. I will investigate your reply

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

You're welcome.

BTW, most of the processes in Windows Task Manager will be legitimate but it does not provide enough information. These are tools to investigate running processes, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location.. Most of them are stand-alone apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary.

#5 Celena

Celena

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Avp.exe is a process related to Kaspersky AntiVirus and Internet Security. If you do a Google Search for avp.exe High CPU, you will find this issue to be a common complaint from Kaspersky users especially at their own support forums. The Kaspersky Support Team usually asks that you post a GSI report created by their GetSystemInfo tool in a new topic at their forums so they can provide individual assistance.

MSIMN.exe is a process related to Microsoft Outlook. If you do a Google Search for MSIMN.exe high cpu, again you will find this issue to be a common complaint with various suggestions and solutions. There has also been a history of issues with MSIMN.exe and Kaspersky as discussed in this topic thread.

Thanks for this info. I too had the same problem but something is going wrong again with my pc . I tried what you have said but still my pc is not ok.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

What did the folks at Kaspersky have to say after posting the log from the GetSystemInfo tool?

#7 englishman abroad

englishman abroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hi there

I actually telephoned Kaspersky Tech Support in the UK. They are very prompt and very polite.
They instructed me to generate a report file and to e mclose Internet Explorerail it to them.
An hour later they called me back and said there must be a glitch somewhere and gave me a download address to get the latest version of Kaspersky Pure and instructed me to download also a special Kaspersky removal tool to make sure everything was clean before I reinstalled Kaspersky.
My laptop is only a 2006 machine with AMD sempron single chip. RAM is max for the machine at 2Gb and HDD is 160GB with 75% free. It is protected by Netgear DGN Router firewall, Kaspersky Pure, Superantispyware Professional version,
+ Malwarebytes antimalware and Tune up Utilities. (I keep KIS switched on - the others are turned off till needed)The HDD is permanently mirrored using Accronis software to a WD 250 Gb external drive. Computer runs Windows XP. Registry is cleaned every 3 days automatically and HDD defragged every 2 months. .
All programs are fully auto-updated.This could be the problem as the machine ran flawlessly until about 6 months ago, when, following windows XP updates both of my PCs started to crash.(Horrible Wednesday mornings once a month !) Subsequent updates seem to have cured the stability problems on both machines.

Another thing that causes this "machine stuck in a loop" problem is if I have Internet open and Outlook Express open, then everything is fine until I close Outlook Express 6 then AVG and MSIMN.EXE take over 100% of the CPU and I have to press the power switch to restart the machine
AVG also causes same thing after it auto updates. Just stays on 100CPU usage. Again I have to use the power button which is infuriating. BUT these problems only occur on my laptop and not my desktop PC.

Ever felt like changing to Unix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users