Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jt23

jt23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sorry I could not think of a good title for this post. Anyways I had to turn off my computer the other day and unplug the powerstrip from the outlet. When I turned on my computer it was freezing at the bios loading screen or post. So today I opened it up so that I could check the ram. So I take one ram module out and then I go to plug the power cord into back. Now usually at this point the computer is supposed to turn on for a few seconds and then shut back off but instead when I plug the power cord in, the computer turns on an stays on without me pushing the power button. Do you think it might be a bad power supply? I would like to turm the computer on to test the ram but it seems like the computer is getting a surge of electricity when the power cord is plugged in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

oh and im A+ certified so you can get technical if you need too. I just dont have on the job experience since I just passed the test recently and still havent had much practice solving theese problems.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

its actually normal for some computer to turn right on when plugged in after being forced shutdown, most all Dells i worked on or owned did this ,as well as many other Brands ,it will continue to do so as long as you have to keep forceing shutdown ,will correct its self when you finall get into windows and shut down correctly

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Ok thanks for the reply. I tried pluging the power cord in and nothing comes on the screen and it also sounds like the psu fan is going to keep spinning faster and faster so Im afraid that it will overheat.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

could be the power supply ,any chance you have another one to try ,

Anyways I had to turn off my computer the other day and unplug the powerstrip from the outlet

so you need to go back to why you had to do this ,and it maybe the source of you problem

also remove both sticks of ram ,see what happens better still remove all addin device cards ,try it ,replacing one at a time

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

The reason I had to unplug the power strip, was because someone came to the house to work on the electrical and breakers needed to be switched off, I did power down the correct way before doing it so doubt that would have been a problem. I might have a psu from an older dell computer I have lying around but I dont know if since one is a dell dimension and the other is an dell xps weather it will fit since they have different form factors and on the dimension the power supply is on the top and in the xps it's on the bottom and there is a separation between the psu and the other components I will give it a try though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users