Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp computer loud noises wont start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mecharonin

mecharonin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

hello all
i have an HP pavillion with windows xp media center edition and service pack 3. it has a amd athalon 64 x2 processor. A few years ago i put in a new graphics card its a BFG nvidia gts 250 1gb overclocked.

the problem is when i try to turn on the computer i hear a loud sound that sounds like a vaccum (not as loud but still pretty loud).

now the thing is if i turn on the computer and i hear that i know its not going to start up, nothing happens its just that vaccum noise and a black screen not even any video input.

if thats the case i have to keep shutting off the computer by the power switch and turning it on until the computer starts up quiet. If it starts up quiet the screen comes on with the HP logo and all is good.

this noise happens quite often when i'm playing games on the computer but after a minute or so it stops.

so as you can see i leave my computer on almost all the time because another problem is that when i try to shut the computer down it gets to the screen that says "windows is shutting down" and doesn't do anything i have to use the computers power button to turn it off.

up until today this was a minor inconvinience having to cold boot the computer till it starts up quietly because it usually only took 2 or 3 shots, but i've been trying all day and it won't start quiet i just keep getting the loud vaccume of death.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2012 - 07:48 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mecharonin

mecharonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

bump
they moved my post and now i have no replies
this is kinda urgent

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

hi, you need to take the side of the tower [if it is a tower ] and try to find out where the loud noise is actually coming from ,it would likely be the cpu fan or video card fan .likely what ever one it is will need to be cleaned or even replaced

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 mecharonin

mecharonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

hi, you need to take the side of the tower [if it is a tower ] and try to find out where the loud noise is actually coming from ,it would likely be the cpu fan or video card fan .likely what ever one it is will need to be cleaned or even replaced

ok so i opened it up and the noise seems to be coming from a fan attatched to the motherboard marked ASUS so i'm gussing thats the processor. Its really dusty in there so i'll first try and fix that now if that doesn't work you said it can be replaced, will i need a new motherboard? new processor? or can i just buy that fan piece.

#5 mecharonin

mecharonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

ok so i opened it up and the noise seems to be coming from a fan attatched to the motherboard marked ASUS so i'm gussing thats the processor. Its really dusty in there so i'll first try and fix that now if that doesn't work you said it can be replaced, will i need a new motherboard? new processor? or can i just buy that fan piece.
[/quote]

so i sat and cleaned all the dust from the CPU fan and while it sounds like its running smoother but the problem still persists.
I turn the computer on and the fans sound really really loud, normally i have to cold boot the computer from the computers power button until the computer starts up quiet rather than loud. If it starts up loud there will be no video signal sent to my monitor. If it starts up quiet i get the HP logo and all is well.

as i said before while the computer was still working i would hear the fans get loud during multitasking or gaming but it would go away after a minute or so.

as i said before turning off the computer is a problem also, When trying to turn it off it gets to the blue windows xp screen that says "windows is shutting down". now the computer will stay on this screen till someone comes by and holds the power button.

I understand using the power button in this way isn't healthy but its the only way i had for turning the computer on and off.

normally it would take 2 or 3 restarts before i'd get the "quiet" start up, but after my mom shut the computer off this morning a few hours later i woke up and fully shut it down and went back to sleep. When i woke up i tried turning it on and got the "loud start up" which gave me no video signal, nothing just the fans going loud and hard.

i figured after two or three tries it would work and i'd get the "quiet" start up but i've been trying almost all day and every time i turn it on i get the "loud" start up and nothing on the screen.

please someone help i haven't been able to listen to my music all day and i'm about to cry :'(

for information purposes i have one of these http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00768103&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3245028
it has service pack 3.

the only modification i made to the computers internal components was putting one of these in

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/bfg_gts250_oc/

any and all help is greatly appreciated

EDIT: having no video signal isn't the only symptom of a "loud" start. Nothing else loads normally when you hear a computer start you hear that sorta crunching noise from the hard drives but that doesn't even happen, its like the computer is sending all the power to the cpu fan and thats all that seems to want to load up.

Edited by mecharonin, 02 March 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#6 mecharonin

mecharonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

bump

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

, it was bed time the last 8 hrs or more where i live ,lol

check around the motherboard for leaky or swollen capacitors ,and try removing you installed video card and switching back to the onboard video

Edited by caperjac, 02 March 2012 - 05:30 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

If your fan bearings are going/gone...noise would likely emanate from the CPU fan.

Consequences of the fan not funtioning properly...can vary, impacting normal function of other system components. Overheating is not something desireable in a computer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users