Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is STOPzilla (free trial) and McAfee (paid version) any good?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mediterrasian

Mediterrasian

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi there.
I've recently had STOPzilla downloaded but only the free trial. I've been told by many people that it's not very good and comes up with fake viruses to get you to buy it. However, I recently had an infection with 3AE.exe and the three trojans it's coming up with are supposedly related to 3AE.exe, even though I've had it removed.

So do you think I should keep the STOPzilla free trial or is it just malware? I also have McAfee, do you think McAfee is good? Because I have started to doubt it recently.
I have also tried MalwareBytes and Superantispyware as well, would you recommend I continue using them?

If you know of any good antivirus/antispyware programs, preferably free, ha, (though if you think a paid one is really good then please do say so), can you please tell me? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you, and if this really helps, I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

After reading that, scroll down and read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Mediterrasian

Mediterrasian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Oh yes, I know there isn't one best, just seeing what anyone recommended but thank you for the info. :)

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

I think you'll have trouble getting opinions about those products because very few of the regulars here would use them. I don't use either McAfee or Stopzilla. There are enough good free anti virus products that it seems pointless to use a paid product like McAfee. Plus I see a lot of complaints about how crappy it is despite the fact you are paying for it. The comments I have seen from users who have tried Stopzilla characterize it as borderline malware and completely useless. I have never seen a positive comment about it. So the lack of response about those products should tip you off that they aren't very good as they aren't widely used by BC members.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I consider Stopzilla a rogue. Many have trouble uninstalling. Below is a link to some helpful
advice on uninstalling it and any tool bars it may of installed. The advice is 2 or 3 years old so
the toolbars may be using a different ad server or a different search engine. The one mentioned
is Ask.
As you will see the user reports a lot of false claims of malware on his computer after scanning with StopZilla.
Be sure to read the entire post in the link below.
Annoyances-Resolved: Stop Zilla To The Rescue? Maybe Not! How To Remove StopZilla Toolbar

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 grivas

grivas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Do not use STOPzilla its rogue software.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

STOPzilla is not a rogue program and is hosted by major downloading sites like CNET, Tucows, etc.

However, it is not very effective and the vendor has been known to use dubious tactics leading to many discussions over the years such as the one here which is why we do not recommend it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users