Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont boot from any source

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamby

jamby

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi

I am working on my neighbors dell gx620 that was running winxp sp3 pro.
Trying to boot it from the winxp setup disk, linux livecd, bart pe all fail. most common reason kernel panic - not syncing.

Trying to boot normally gets to a page with choices of safe mode and normal startup. safe mode streams several lines showing drivers then stops at Ntfs.sys saying Ntfs.sys is missing or corrupted. restart using win setup disk, r option.

Windows SetUp disk boot:
gets to the message at the bottom "setup is loading files (windows executive) and stops, waited 1 hr+.

Bartpe4win:
shows the startup splash, displays menu,
allowed to continue to it errors out and stops

Ntfs for dos: was able to see one of the two hard drives with prog~1, docum~1, and windo~1 directories. went to windows\drivers\i386 but only had one page of files?? not looking correct. windows\drivers\i386 but only had one page of files?? not looking correct.

Memtest4: reported all errors thru all 503 memory.

BARTPE will no longer boot. shows error code 4. next time setupdd.sys could not be loaded error code is 7.

LINUX live cds Centos and Puppy: neither would boot and at times display a kernel panic - VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknow block (0,xxx)

Note:
several attempts must be made to get a boot from any disk.
a soft boot (3key) will not produce a restart, blank screen blinking cursor upper left.
reboots must wait at least 5 mins to suceed.

Any idea welcomed. I am out of ideas.

Thanks
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

FWIW: Ntfs.sys missing or corrupt error message - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531

From http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=117343&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs= :

"Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to the NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some anti-virus software.

Perform the steps below to resolve the blue screen error.

Run CHKDSK (Check Disk) as a first step. For more information, refer the Dell Knowledge base article, "What is CHKDSK (Check Disk) And How to Use it With Windows XP?" Article ID: 351005.

Disable any anti-virus software, firewall software or backup utilities that might be installed on the system.

Run an SFC scan on the system so it can check for any missing or corrupt system files. For more information, refer the Dell Knowledge base article, "How to Run the System File Checker With Windows XP?" Article ID: 351023."

Louis

#3 jamby

jamby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Louis

Thank you for your reply. I looked over both the articles you mentioned. Both appear to require a running system.
However this system is not running. Any attemp to boot the computer fails shortly after the self test regardless of the boot media.

Thanks
Jim

[edit] perhaps I should mention this is a refurb computer and none of the dell software exists on it. It is a new installation of winxp pro and has been stable for at least a year plus.

Edited by jamby, 01 March 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

<<Memtest4: reported all errors thru all 503 memory>>

Details? I have no idea what you are trying to convey with that statement.

Louis

#5 jamby

jamby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi

Turns out the problem was a virus that apparently her daughter welcomed in during her absence. Installed a new hard drive and reloaded the O/S.

Thanks
Jim

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users