Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

preferred USB extension for External Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hi, I am looking to buy a Western Digital "Elements" 2TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive from Amazon.

The place I want to sit the EHD will not reach my laptop with the provided USB cable, I will need a few more feet.

This EHD comes with external power, but I'm not exactly sure if a regular USB extension will do the job 'safely'. I've been reading something about a "USB repeater", but I have no idea what that is or where I should find one.

Also, is it a good idea to buy an EHD online? They are a little fragile while powered.. but while off, they should be safe no matter what happens to the package, right?

If someone could help me, I'd be very happy :P

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Though an extension should work fine, have you considered just buying a longer USB cable?

Buying an EHD online will be fine. A hard drive can actually take a pretty good pounding when it's not running. Of course, as you mentioned, they are extrememly fragile when running. Many come with anti-shock measures, but treat the thing like the most fragile egg you've ever seen.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Though an extension should work fine, have you considered just buying a longer USB cable?

Buying an EHD online will be fine. A hard drive can actually take a pretty good pounding when it's not running. Of course, as you mentioned, they are extrememly fragile when running. Many come with anti-shock measures, but treat the thing like the most fragile egg you've ever seen.

Thanks for your comment, would a longer cable do the trick just fine? I think i will need a cable with a Mini-B end. My only concern is the rate of power running through a longer cable, would it affect the transfer speeds? I may look into a longer cable.. it's a good idea :woot:

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I don't know which Mini-B your's uses, but monoprice has 4-pin and 5-pin Mini-B cables that are 15 feet long. I'd get the 28/24AWG at that length.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303

Edited by LucheLibre, 01 March 2012 - 12:35 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have the 1.5TB version of that drive and I've been very happy with it.

A longer cable should be fine.

The most important thing to remember about this drive is that the USB jack is known to be a little fragile so once you plug the USB cable into the drive, try to leave it plugged in even when not in use. The problem people have with them usually only happens if you plug/unplug the USB cable into the drive very often.

Other than that mine runs cool, quiet and both my Windows and Linux machines like it.

James

#6 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thanks you both for the comments, I really appreciate them. I think i will settle for a longer cable to replace the provided one, instead of buying an extension. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

#7 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

No problem. Glad to help.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users