Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeware Recuva (from Piriform)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GeoS

GeoS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm having a problem recovering a deleted file using the freeware version of Recuva. The scan does find missing files in 'excellent' condition but when I try to use Recover, I get an error message ("The device is not ready".)

Before I go further, I would like to know if the freeware version is supposed to be able to recover lost files. The Piriform website doesn't answer this.

Thanks in advance.

George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi GeoS,

The answer to your question is yes. Recuva functions only one way and should be able to recover files unless they are too degraded. The sole difference between the free version and the paid version is the paid version provides you with technical support from Piriform. They do have a forum there where you can also ask questions about problems you might be having with any of their software products.

Although, I use all of Piriform's products, I can't really explain why you are getting the error message you stated, unless there is perhaps a corrupted file within the Recuva program itself. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable here will be able to answer that question for you.

Edited by spc3rd, 01 March 2012 - 11:05 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#3 GeoS

GeoS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for that answer. At least I know the freeware version isn't normally limited. I guess re-installing it would fix the possibility of a corrupt file.

#4 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

You're quite welcomne, GeoS. The suggestion of a possibly corrupt file was just the only thing I could think of. At least if you uninstall, then re-install and the problem persists...you'll know something else is causing the issue!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#5 GeoS

GeoS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have an idea about the "device not ready" error. I noticed that under Options/Actions I had checked the box to restore the file structure. Almost all the files detected during the scan had a '?' in the path. I'll check this when my current scan (15 hours!!) finishes. Right now, I'm not as enthusiastic about Recuva as the reviewers I read.

#6 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Morning GeoS,

I was hoping someone here with more knowledge about the Recuva program would stop by and offer more insight into the issue you are experiencing. I'd give it another 24 - 48 hours...then if no one else is able to provide you any assistance & your problem persists, you may want to consider sending a PM (Private message) to one of the Moderators or Admins here asking for assistance.

Regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 02 March 2012 - 07:12 AM.

spc3rd

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

For what it's worth, I've never seen that error message with Recuva and I don't have "Restore folder structure" checked either. Don't know if the error message and the "Restore folder structure" setting are related or not. Think I would try leaving Recuva's settings(configuration) at the defaults, unless there is some specific reason to change them.

If Recuva won't recover the files, you might give Glary Undelete a try. I've had it recover files that Recuva would not. On the other hand, Recuva has recovered files that Glary Undelete would not.

#8 GeoS

GeoS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

The Latest:

When the second scan finished, I selected a file to recover ... and it worked! I tried it with "Restore folder structure" both checked & unchecked & it recovered the file both times. Neither way, however, was any folder recovered. I'm sure that was because the detected path was L:\?\.

Next, I selected all the files & did a recover. That worked the same way as above; recoverable files recovered with no folder structure. (This is no good for me since most of what was lost was a set of Audacity projects for the 99 episodes of Theme Time Radio Hour.)

My conclusion is that the original problem was something that happened (that I did!) that "corrupted" the first scan.

Now I'm going to try Glary Undelete in hope that it might be able to detect the file structure. Stay tuned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users