Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista OS and C Drive Vanished!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Woodsman

Woodsman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Following a fake Mcafee 'secriuty suite' type torjan infecting my laptop yesterday I eventuall uninstalled it but when I rebooted the system Windoews did not start up and instead I am facing a System Recovery Options page as there is no OS visible, nor is there a C Drive visible. I have tried running the Start Up recovery but does not work. I cannot do System Restore as there is no system to restore!

Please help me as I do not understand how the system and drive can just disappear.....can the drive be fried?

Oh, I bough the laptop with Vista already installed so do not have any OS disks. Basically I have no back up of the OS barring a back up of the drive on an external hard-drive (barring the last few weeks of stuff typically).

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2012 - 01:08 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

How did you remove it?

#3 Woodsman

Woodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I am not sure if it was really deleted but after several attempts I managed to remove it from the list of programs which took it off the desktop too. (The previous attempts wouldnt do anything as it was running its 'scan' at the time).

Rebooted then the system Recovery options appeared.

Can I install windows 7 on the C drive using a disk?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Yes you can reinstall Windows 7 using a disk.

#5 Woodsman

Woodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

Before I try to fix the issue with a reinstallation of windows OS, I thought I should take further advice and provide more details of what I have found.

When I disable the auto rebooting I am able to see the BSOD which says there is a 0x00000024 (0x00190445, 0x862D0960, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000) which is actually slightly different to what it told me yesterday (the second set was 0x862F8688).

I have tried running a CHDSK/F but it says the 'volume is in use by another process' and when I select Y to check it when it restarts, it makes no difference.

I have tried running CHKDSK/C as I was worried the C DRive was completely screwed but it seems to be there and showing the amount of memory and space available/ used as it should have so I am royally confused. Can windows vista simply stop running?

HOwever, when running the CHKDSK/C it does suggest something it wrong as says 'Warning! F parameter not specified Reading CHKDSK in read-only mode' and Warning! C parameter specified. Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK. It lists files checked etc and says 'windows has checked file system and found no problems'. The only other negative thing I can see is at the end where it says 'Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Does this help or complicate the matter even more.?

Thanks

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

If you are within Windows you will need to restart for chkdsk /f to work.

#7 Woodsman

Woodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

On restarting after selecting to run chkdsk/f, nothing changes. I keep ending up at the same place.

This is the order of events.

Windows begins to boot. Then comes up with 'windows failed to start etc' and gives two options; a) Start Windows Repair and B) Start Windows Normally

If choose a) it comes up with System Recovery Options. I choose keyboard layout as US then hit next. It then asks to select an operating system to repair but there is nothing on the list. I hit next and I have the list of options;
1. Start Up Repair - checks some things but doesn't help.
2. System Restore - doesn't work as it cannot see what OS to restore.
3) Windows complete PC Restore - doesn't work as no back up disks available.
4. Windows diagnostic repair - says it will check on restart but it doesn't. and finally
5. Command prompt - only know the command CHKDSK/ this function does work.

If I choose to 'restart windows normally' I see windows 'bar' along bottom of screen, then black screen then blue screen quickly flashes with info i posted in earlier posts above.

Any suggestions?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Time to find the manufacturer of the hard drive and run those diagnostics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users