Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Partition Is Gone!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

I had another BSOD... saying that it dumped my physical memory(?). Then I restarted my comp, and it said that it couldn't find my HD. I turned it off, again, and took off the cables and put them back on, now the HD wouldn't boot. I get the Dell given restore CD and go into the Windows install screen only to find out that THERE IS NO PARTITION!!! I have 2 partitios, one is the boot partition in FAT format, and my C: drive which currently says unknown. I cannot re-partition it without reformatting (I'm sure many of you know this). So, now I'm stuck. My dad doesn't want to buy the 160GB HD that Best Buy has for $100(!!!). Is it possible to re-partition w/o reformatting?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that whatever partition you create/destroy will be reformatted, regardless of what you do. I know it's possible to RESIZE a partition without reformatting (i partitioned my drive to put Ubuntu on, and kept all my windows files).

I'm guessing your FAT partition is fairly small? Is that the only definitive partition you have? You said your C: was "unkown", but does that mean it's unallocatted?

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

I don't know... last time I checked it was an NTFS partition. Also, the FAT partition is about 39 MB. I just restarted my computer like a million times and this happened.

(Shows how much I know about comps :thumbsup: )

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

My friend gave me a good suggestion... take an old HD and install XP with a burning program and copy all my stuff on CDs, then reformat and repartition the HD.

If anybody thinks this'll work, raise your hand and say "aye." LoL jk.

Edited by legoman786, 17 February 2006 - 11:47 PM.

- Rick Cook

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

:thumbsup: I think that'll work. It's worked for me in the past.

As for the jumper settings of that particular drive (Image)
I had a drive like this (not sure the model was the same but very close) and when I tried to change the jumper setting from master, it wouldn't work. Like it was hard wired to be a Master only.

#6 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:49 PM

I got it to work, now as soon as I can, I'll backup up everything on DVD-R. (My mom just bought a 10-pack, YAY!!)

I don't need the Maxtor drive specs, as I found out it was a dead drive. Having a newer mobo with a newer BIOS helps out in weeding out bad drives. I found 6 bad drives this way.

- Rick Cook

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

Just for future reference for anyone that ever comes across it in Windows XP (any version), Media Center 2005, or Server 2003, any time you see an error message that contains the phrase "unmountable boot volume", it means the MBR (Master Boot Record) is corrupt.

This occurs from time to time when the processor or RAM is completely overwhelmed the OS or a program(s) is still feeding it vast amounts of information. The system basically 'hiccups' and false/corrupt information is written to the HDD or to a place where the information is not supposed to be (such as the MBR). The quickest and easiest way to fix that problem is to:

1: Insert your Windows XP operating system disk and let it run thru its paces.

2: Watch the screen for "Press 'R' For Recovery Console" & then press the letter 'R'.

3: When you get to the command prompt, type the following as you see it here:

4: Type FIXMBR /C:

5: Press ENTER

6: Type Y if prompted for a Yes or No answer.

7: Next, still at the command prompt type:

8: FIXBOOT /C:

9: Press ENTER

10: Type Y if prompted for a Yes or No answer.

11: Eject the Windows XP CD and reboot the computer.

12: Once Windows has fully loaded open My Computer -> Right-click C: drive -> Properties -> Select 'Tools' tab -> Under 'Error Checking' press the 'Check Now' button -> Check both boxes -> Click 'Start' button -> Reboot

13: Once the Check Disk has completed and Windows XP is fully loaded again, you may want to run System Restore and restore back to the last restore point before the crash to ensure that any important but corrupted data is recovered.

Your Master Boot Record & Boot Files are now rebuilt & repaired and all corrupt data should be recovered and usable.

I have had this help from another forum, but somebody else said that I should type in fixboot first then fixmbr... can anybody tell me the right way?

- Rick Cook

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

I cannot speak to post #7, but I will look into it. As far as sizing your partition and FORMATing your partitions programs like Partition Magic and Digtal Dolly can do that without damaging your current install of Windows. I use Digtal Dolly. It is freeware and does not need as OS to work. I have used it with as little as 64mb RAM. Digtal Dolly also has a DIsk Imager, Drive Wipe, S.M.A.R.T. Disk Diagnostices, and more...
If you do not need it for this problem it is still handy to have is your utility software catolgue.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for all your help guys... but my dad popped it in as a master and it booted. :thumbsup: :flowers:

I really want to know how that happened... not. I just bought an 80GB HD to replace the 60GB HD (original HD) as a master. Basically, I am copy and paste-ing everything I need to keep then I'll format the 60GB and keep that for all my documents, etc.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users