Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deep Freeze possibly stopping me from updating to SP1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moaoe

moaoe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I recently installed Deepfreeze onto my computer. I have only had it on for less than a week. I have recently updated with it being thawed. The problem occurs when it tries to restart the computer to finish step 2 out of 3 and only gets to 32%. It sits there for about 2 minutes and then says it is shutting down. After that point it restarts what it was doing and tries to finish from 32%. I have tried restarting into safemode to see if it would revert the update and restore my computer back to the way it was. However that is not the case. I have tried to repair my computer using the tool provided but it says that some recently installed driver or update has screwed it up and it doesn't know how to fix it. I have tried system restore as well with this, it has failed just as epicly.

How ever I am not worried about reformatting as long as I can get my files off the computer. I have connected my hard drive to another computer and attempted to find my files that are/were stored in the defined deepfreeze thawspace. I was unable to find any location or information on how to find the thaw space that I have defined within my hard drive. This is extremely frustrating and I need some of these files.

I have tried about everything that I can think of to fix the computer, so I have given up and just need to get the files off the thawed space from deep freeze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

Deep Freeze, by Faronics, is an application available for the Microsoft Windows, which allows system administrators to protect the core operating system and configuration files on a workstation or server by restoring a computer back to its original configuration each time the computer restarts

Hi -
Did you read this information about Deep Freeze prior to installing it ??
Please read the quote above from the program description, and if you think this is your problem then Uninstall it.

This program is designed to stop you from altering the core operating system, and this can include the update to SP 1 -

Thank You -

#3 moaoe

moaoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

Well if you thaw out (unlock) the hard drive you have the ability of installing software onto the main disk, at least you should be able to. this is what I did before I installed the updates, not thinking that it would cause this. I have worked with this software prior to this. You must thaw the space in order to modify system files. Also it is a little hard to uninstall it when I can't access any way of uninstalling it(reference to first post).

Edited by jgweed, 01 March 2012 - 09:08 AM.
moved topic to more appropriate forum.jgw

#4 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

You need two things to fix this (cause I have to do this at work):
1. Windows Install/Repair Disk
2. File from Faronics on USB drive to break into DeepFreeze

They have instructions, they're pretty simple to follow, basically you run Windows repair, replace a file with the one they send you, and let her go. I think you also need to know the computer's administrator account password.

I've had really good experience with Faronics customer support, I've had to get help with the described problem once we got Windows 7 machines here, and had to get into a corrupted install on an XP machine with an older version of DeepFreeze. They've always gotten back to me pretty quick.

Edited by joggiwagga, 05 March 2012 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users