Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Desktop Wont Power On

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 duncandemon

duncandemon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hello,
I am working on a friends Gateway PC, model GM5632E. He stated that the computer was dead when he gave it to me to look at.
I got it home and plugged it in. Its not "DEAD". The Blue power button light comes on, and the fans try to kick in...just for
a split second, then nothing. The fan movement is more like an overstated "twitch". There is a steady green light on the motherboard.
I tried reseating all the cards, pulled all the power cables and data cables from his internal drives, and put them all back in, as
well as unplugging the power supply and replugging it back in but thus far, nothing has worked.
The blue power button on the front of the tower stays on, and the green motherboard light stays on. Other than the fan twitch,
thats the only activity I can get from it.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

You could start here:

My Desktop Computer Does Not Power On: http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck2007022634.shtml

Regards,
Brooks

#3 duncandemon

duncandemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

I appreciate the link, though I found it prior to posting here. I tried all the steps and still no luck. Thanks anyway.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

A few more suggestions:

• On the motherboard, inspect each capacitor (small vertical cylinders) for obvious damage (swelling, leaking).
  • Carefully unplug the 20/24 pin power supply connector from the motherboard and inspect each side for signs of a "short" (melted and darkened plastic).
  • Temporarily remove any extra PCI cards such as modems or sound cards. More than once I've seen a "bad modem" prevent the computer from booting.
  • Locate the three pin CMOS Jumper on the motherboard (consult your computer documentation) usually located near the case pin connection strip and labeled "CMOS." It is usually jumpered 1-2 (default) . Move the jumper to pins 2-3 for 5 minutes. This will reset BIOS to factory default. It's helpful to remove the circular lithium CMOS battery at the same time. Replace the battery and set the CMOS jumper back to pins 1-2. Test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
Posted Image
  • If still unsuccessful and you have access to a known good power supply, try to swap it out and see if it boots.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 duncandemon

duncandemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

well...I think I may have found something! lol! I see the power cables coming from the power LED and another from the switch.
The blue cable is labled led and the red one is labled the switch, problem is only the LED is plugged in and
the power cable is unhooked. I have no idea where it goes but suspect its got to be somewhere near where the LED goes.
The LED plug has a verticle row of straight prongs on the left and some curved prongs to the right that go up and
curve to the left. Anyone have a clue where to plug this thing in?..or a diagram of the motherboard? Owner doesnt
have one.

Edited by duncandemon, 02 March 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#6 duncandemon

duncandemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Found specs for the board at Gateway, just took some time. Hooked up the cables but no go. The pc HAS powered on once or twice, even gone
to full boot but if I shut it down and try again, it wont power on. Im thinking its the power supply.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

It seems that you are making progress with this system. Certainly could be the power supply.

You have probably already done this, but unplug/remove any hardware not needed to boot just to reduce the load and see if it starts. It would be nice if you had the option to temporarily swap in a different PSU just to see.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 duncandemon

duncandemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

When I pulled his graphics card it fired right up. I think we have a winner.
Thanks for the advice folks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users