Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A quick guide on setting up Windows 8 on VirtualBox

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Now that the Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out many people may want to try it, but do not have an extra machine available or do not want to muck up their current Windows computer. Also since this is a beta version of Windows, the last thing most of you should do is use it as your primary operating system. Therefore, I feel the best recommendation for those who want to play with Windows 8 is to install it on a virtual machine using the free Oracle VirtualBox software. This will allow you to test out Windows 8, play with its features, and have no fear that their normal Windows installation will be mucked up by this upgrade. Read more at the following how-to: How to install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview in VirtualBox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but once you install W8CP directly on to your computer, you cannot roll back to the older version of Windows you were using, but have to reinstall it completely. If this assumption is correct, general users would be well advised to keep away from the Preview Version.

Edited by jgweed, 01 March 2012 - 09:20 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

I am not sure about that as I only test these types of things on a virtual machine or computer that I dont care if I need to reformat and reinstall. For 99% of the people who want to play with Windows 8, I still suggest you use VirtualBox or other vm solution.

I know the rules state no member names, but I am not as strict about that.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

AMD link for AMD Virtualization Technology and Microsoft Hyper-V System Compatibility Check Utility is not working anymore in this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7/#identify
Working link: http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDownloads/AMD-VwithRVI_Hyper-V_CompatibilityUtility.zip

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks..fixed

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

My pleasure :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but once you install W8CP directly on to your computer, you cannot roll back to the older version of Windows you were using, but have to reinstall it completely. If this assumption is correct, general users would be well advised to keep away from the Preview Version.

Why do they keep doing that will all their new Windows Beta programs they come out with????
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Why do they keep doing that will all their new Windows Beta programs they come out with????

When did you ever see a windows upgrade that could be rolled back once installed?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Are you saying that Windows considers a new operating system an "upgrade"????

Looking at Vista, that's, ahem......debatable. :hysterical:
People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Just installed it on VB (don't ask me about the specs, but its running reasonably well :wink:).

I am posting this using IE, which is faster than what I am used on Windows 7. I am not impressed with the layout (especially metro-style menu) so far, but it is not slower than windows 7 with the same specs.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Man I've been trying to install this stupid thing and this thing has fought me tooth and nail!

Last brick wall I just ran into: I tried to create an ISO through their sleek-looking "Consumer Preview" thingy. Then the stupid thing gives me a friggin error message saying it couldn't create an ISO. <_<

Edited by elmongo2, 04 March 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,441 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

LOL, after the download was cancelled four times because my internet dropped, I used a download manager. When it was finished I discovered I had accidentally clicked the link for simplified Chinese and could start all over... :crazy:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#13 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well I finally got to it installing on the virtual and I just got force-fed a fresh hot cup of fail! :blink:

Got an error message saying, "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 8.

"AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS. (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)"

My wife says it's because the computer's internal video card is unable to support Windows 8.

Doesnt make sense to me because I got a lot further running installation on my regular computer hard drive. :blink:

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,441 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I had to enable it as well (was disabled in BIOS). Have you looked around for the option in BIOS? It has nothing to do with the video card though (I have a rudimentary video card at best, and it works fine, afaik Windows 8 hasn't any more video requirements than Windows 7 has).

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#15 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Finally got it installed!

What a pain as usual. <_<

Edited by elmongo2, 04 March 2012 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users