Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terrible Performance and frequent crashing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bruner1981jpce

bruner1981jpce

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi everyone. I'm having some problems with my netbook. It is performing worse than the Samsung Intercept ($200 brand new no contract android bought through virgin mobile). I'll try to keep this as to-the-point as possible. So the problems I'm having are:

My computer is very slow. this just started recently and is getting worse. eventually it will just become unresponsive and i have to reboot by holding the power button and turning it back on. this will get some performance back, but it does not last long (maybe an hour?)
The task bar will often just disappear even though I do not have auto-hide turned on. I just verified this a couple minutes ago.
Shockwave Flash and Skype toolbars plugins on Google Chrome are constantly crashing
It takes a long time for programs to start, and soon after the computer will tell me that the program is not responding

What I've done so far:
Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware, found and fixed one problem after updating the database
Run Spybot search and destroy, found and fixed 28 problems
Performance was unaffected after fixing the problems that were found

My hardware:
Acer Aspire One netbook I bought brand new in mid 2009
Intel Atom processor
1GB memory
160GB harddrive
Windows 7 service pack 1 (netbook was designed to run windows XP)

My normal use is running and actively using Google Chrome, with skype in the background not on call, and sometimes spotify or microsoft word.

What are your suggestions? A new computer is not in the budget right now, although i will be getting a laptop for college from my parents over the summer, but are there any cheap/free upgrades or fixes i can do to make using this computer more bearable? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Can you think of anything you or the computer did right before the problem started, such as hardware or software install, uninstall, update, malware, or damage?

Make sure you've updated to the latest version of Chrome. (Wrench Icon > About Google Chrome)

Also, I found with my netbook that putting in the maximum amount of RAM supported did wonders, esp. when running Win7 and Chrome. Chrome can easily eat up half a gigabyte by itself.

Use Autoruns to list programs that start automatically.

• Download the .zip file and extract its contents to your desktop.
    Follow these instructions if you are not familiar with how to extract files from a .zip file.
  • On the desktop, right-click autoruns and select Run As Administrator.
    Autoruns will begin scanning immediately.
  • Watch the status bar at the bottom of the window. When it reports as finished, click File > Save and save the report to your desktop as autorun.
  • Right-click the new file and click Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder. A new .zip file will appear on the desktop.
  • In this thread, click Add Reply and use the Attachments section to attach the .zip file to your next reply.

==========================================================

Click the Start Orb and type services. When it appears in the search results, click it. Scroll down and locate Windows Search. Double-click it. Set the Startup Type to Disabled. Click OK and reboot.

Edited by LucheLibre, 01 March 2012 - 12:27 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 bruner1981jpce

bruner1981jpce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Alright, I ran AutoRun, here is the file that I saved from it. I'm going to disable the startup type as soon as i finish this post. Thanks!Attached File  autorun.zip   87.19KB   2 downloads

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Uncheck these. Once you've done that, reboot and run autoruns again. If you see any unchecked entry that has been duplicated or rechecked, be suspicious.
(If you use the Groove or Bonjour stuff, keep that of course.)

• Adobe ARM Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager Adobe Systems Incorporated c:\program files\common files\adobe\arm\1.0\adobearm.exe
  • GrooveMonitor GrooveMonitor Utility Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\groovemonitor.exe
  • HotKeysCmds hkcmd Module Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
  • QuickTime Task QuickTime Task Apple Inc. c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe
  • SunJavaUpdateSched Java™ Update Scheduler Sun Microsystems, Inc. c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe
  • Microsoft Windows Windows Mail Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows mail\winmail.exe
  • Adobe PDF Link Helper Adobe PDF Helper for Internet Explorer Adobe Systems Incorporated c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\acroiehelpershim.dll
  • BFlix Toolbar dtx Dynamic Link Library c:\program files\bflixtoolbar\vmntemplatex.dll
  • BitTorrentBar Toolbar Conduit Toolbar Conduit Ltd. c:\program files\bittorrentbar\tbbitt.dll
  • Conduit Engine Conduit Toolbar Conduit Ltd. c:\program files\conduitengine\conduitengine.dll
  • BFlix Toolbar dtx Dynamic Link Library c:\program files\bflixtoolbar\vmntemplatex.dll
  • BitTorrentBar Toolbar Conduit Toolbar Conduit Ltd. c:\program files\bittorrentbar\tbbitt.dll
  • Conduit Engine Conduit Toolbar Conduit Ltd. c:\program files\conduitengine\conduitengine.dll
  • Bonjour Service Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence. Apple Inc. c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsresponder.exe
  • Microsoft Office Groove Audit Service Groove Audit Service Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\grooveauditservice.exe
  • WMPNetworkSvc Shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows media player\wmpnetwk.exe
  • mdnsNSP Bonjour Namespace Provider Apple Inc. c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll

Edited by LucheLibre, 02 March 2012 - 01:51 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users