Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps restarting after POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I was given a laptop, an emachine e525, and upon booting the computer up, it goes through post and immediately after reboots and goes through the loop all over again. The person I got it from said the harddrive needed replacing. I tried using my XP cd to reformat it and while it boots from the cd, it then gives me a BSOD type error:

STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78d2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000, 0X00000000)

which google tells me is a problem with the sata/raid settings in the bios, which i cannot access to verify because nobody knows the bios password for it.

So could it be the hard drive? I dont have a good one to test with, or could it be some retarded setting in the BIOS?

Edited by NgelicDestroyer, 29 February 2012 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Just for clarity...you did delete all existing partitions...before trying to install from XP CD?

Is XP CD a MS Genuine XP disk supplied by Microsoft?

Does the laptop not have a recovery/restore partition capability which would not require a new install?

Which version of Windows was originally installed?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#3 NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

The laptop originally came with Windows 7 noted by the sticker on it. It was given to me broken, so I cannot tell you if it was home, premium, ultimate, etc. Most likely home i would assume. The windows XP sp2 CD i currently have is not an official microsoft copy. I lost my install cd ages ago so I downloaded an iso so I didn't have to pay for another product key.

The cd does not get far enough to even view the partitions, it goes through the initial loading of files off the cd, asks if you want to install 3rd party raid/scsi drivers, etc, and thats when the blue screen error occurs. At some point in between loading the initial files and before it gives you any of the options to install, repair, format, etc.

I'm assuming the xp installation loads its files into memory, so that would lead me to believe perhaps the error is occuring when it tries to access the HDD and view the partitions? Just looking for some feedback by someone more experienced than myself before I drop $50-100 on a hard drive.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Forget that bum XP which no one here will support you with. Against the Terms of use
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/useragreement.php

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools Links to Manufacturers Utilities
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Test the hard drive
If it passes buy windows 7 and install it. That laptop was designed for Windows 7, You would catch fits trying to get drivers for all the hardware. Hardware without the drivers is a useless as a car with not driver.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

<<The laptop originally came with Windows 7 noted by the sticker on it. It was given to me broken, so I cannot tell you if it was home, premium, ultimate, etc. Most likely home i would assume.>>

Since it is a laptop, the original license is for Win 7, not XP. Any attempt to install any version of Windows other than that which was originally installed...requires a valid license for that version.

<<The windows XP sp2 CD i currently have is not an official microsoft copy. I lost my install cd ages ago so I downloaded an iso so I didn't have to pay for another product key.>>

If it's not a legal/official version of Windows...then you are attempting to install an illegal version of Windows. Along with the fact that such version is illegal, you may want to take note of the following.

Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people... - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423

Are Torrents Safe Info - http://www.infocarnivore.com/tag/are-torrents-safe/

As suggested...you need to obtain a legal version with license...of whatever version of Windows you want to install...and go forward from that. Before attempting to install any O/S, it's also a good idea to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...to rule out the possibility of useless efforts expended.

Since it's a laptop, I suggest that you consider contacting the manufacturer of said system concerning the acquisition of recovery/restore disks, since I believe that the cost involved may be less than that of purchasing a new, licensed version of Windows.

Quote from the forum rules: "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."