Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running ethernet cable out to garage...?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robot85

robot85

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

So we need to run an ethernet cable out to my dad's garage (seperate building, not part of the house) so the old computer he has out there can access the internet. The computer is running Lubuntu which does not work with the wireless USB adapter we have (and the wifi may not even reach out that far). So the only way to get internet to it is a wired connection. We have a wireless router in our house, which connects two computers via ethernet cables and the rest of the computers/devices by wireless. We could just run a cable directly from the router to the garage, but we'd need a reeeeallllly long cable, and etc. etc...

Is there any such thing as a wireless ethernet bridge thing that we could put in the garage which connects wirelessly to the router (assuming the wifi reaches out that far), but has ethernet ports so we can run a cable from that device to the computer? Or is there a better way of doing this with just wires?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

after 330' you need a "repeater"

http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/140605-practical-distance-limit-100mbit-over-cat5e-6-7-a.html

http://www.cat-5-cable-company.com/faq-maximum-length-cat-5-cable.html

http://www.maznets.com/tech/repeater.htm

Why don't you get rid of Ubuntu and go back to Microsoft Windows XP ... The former has
serious security issues and is not recommended for commercial use.

Edited by TommyBoat, 29 February 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Ubuntu is very well a good operating system to use, and it is free. Windows XP is loosing support, and by 2014 there will no longer be any support for it.

His best option is to run a conduit either made of galvanized aluminum or a PVC pipe under the ground and run the cabling.

How far is the garage from the house?

I would highly recommend using Ubuntu over XP, and it is fine for commercial use.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Why don't you get rid of Ubuntu and go back to Microsoft Windows XP ... The former has
serious security issues and is not recommended for commercial use.

What!? You're saying Ubuntu Linux has more security issues then Windows XP? Ubuntu is a VERY good operating system and is one of the most secure out there (in my opinion). As already mentioned, XP is approaching it's end of life within the next couple of years, so if you want to recommend Windows, atleast recommend something current (Windows 7).

To the OP...

How far of a distance is this? If it's a huge distance, ethernet is the way to go. I would not recommend wireless repeats because they normally slow down the wireless connection alot. Also, many Windows wifi adapters have had community drivers made to work under Ubuntu.

Reply back with the adapter's brand/model and your version of Ubuntu, and I'll look into it.

Edited by NpaMA, 01 March 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi, I had the same issue, two storey house and I needed internet connection in the garage. I could of run cat5 cable but I could not get it down the wall and I did not wan't to run conduit so I used power over ethernet....and it works a treat.
I bought the tp-link and would recommend it. http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/?categoryid=1862&model=TL-PA511KIT
MCP
MSDST

#6 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Everyone sticks to this standard of around 330-350ft but it all depends on the quality of the cable you are using.

I would agree on installing Ubuntu if you don't have any Windows OS you can install. Ubuntu has come a VERY long way and does support a very large range of devices...if you're unsure just google around and you will be able to find out if Ubuntu supports your device or not.

If not, just order something off the internet for 30 or 40 bucks...if you're strapped for cash PM me, i will give you an address to send me a shipping label and i will mail you a USB Wireless-N adapter. I purchased it a few months back to do some testing because i couldn't run WiMax and Wifi at the same time but i no longer need it.

And look up details about the wireless router you have now, you can buy a wireless repeater that you could install in the garage and then run an ethernet cable to the desktop.

Edited by tripflex, 05 March 2012 - 11:45 AM.

There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users