Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic reboot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hi All,

Does any one know if it is possible to do an unattended reboot into admin safe mode on an XP Pro PC. My home network has been giving lots of grief lately resulting in me wanting to reboot into safe mode. Rather than sit there manually closing the machine down, rebooting, waiting to press F8, selecting the boot mode, selecting the OS, selecting the User etc I'd like to be able to click on a script, (or something) then go off for a natter and or make a cuppa and come back to find the machine at the safe mode desktop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

hi, i googled ,like i always do ,found a batch in post #6 here ,have no idea if it works,
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/65219-unattended-reboot-to-safe-mode/

more possible info .good luck
http://tinyurl.com/6qqnebo

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi caperjac,

Thanks for the link, I downloaded the software mentioned, Safeboot.exe, (there seem to be 3 versions linked in that thread). Before running it I did a google search on the software (Safeboot.exe) and came across the following, see here which reports it as a threat. So I'm not to sure about running/installing it.

I also came across the batch file below (which should be saved in notepad as 'addsafe.bat'), however, due to finding very little on autoboot subject I'm a bit wary because I don't really understand the code, what it will do and if it's safe to use. I might run it on a spare machine to try it out.

@Echo Off
SetLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
PushD %SystemDrive%\
If Not Exist boot.ini Echo Unable to locate the boot.ini file&Goto _End
Attrib -H -R -S boot.ini
If Exist boot.TO~ (
Attrib -H -R -S boot.TO~
Del Boot.ini
Ren boot.TO~ boot.ini>Nul
Echo Safe Mode options have been removed from the boot menu
Goto _End
) Else (
Copy boot.ini boot.TO~>Nul
Attrib +H +R +S boot.TO~
)
If Exist boot.tmp Del boot.tmp
For /F "Tokens=1,2 Delims==" %%I In (boot.ini) Do (
Set _line=%%I
If /I "%%I"=="default" Set _Def=%%J
If "!_line:~0,1!"=="[" (
>>boot.tmp Echo.%%I
) Else (
>>boot.tmp Echo.%%I=%%J
))
>>boot.tmp Echo.%_Def%="Windows XP Safe Mode (minimal)" /safeboot:minimal
>>boot.tmp Echo.%_Def%="Windows XP Safe Mode (F8)" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
Del boot.ini
Ren boot.tmp boot.ini
Echo Safe Mode options have been added to the boot menu
:_End
Attrib +H +R +S boot.ini>Nul
PopD
Pause

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users