Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Some Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steelers2006

steelers2006

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hello everyone, just looking for a little help with my computer. I feel that my computer is slowing down and would like to know how to make it run faster and more efficent. Now my daughter has 1 game on this computer and that is all. She has the Sims installed and lately the computer has been getting slower since then. I would like to keep the game on here for her, but would like it to be faster when i am surfing around. Someone told me i needed a bigger processor, maybe more memory, whatever it is i need help doing it.

My system is a compaq presairo. Intel ®
Celeron ® cpu 2.53GHz
2.53 GHz
248 MB of RAM

Capacity 33.18 GB
Free Space 22.13 GB

I use aol to dial up with. About the only thing i do isa surf the web and sometimes play online poker. I would just love to have this computer a little faster while surfing. I'm sure my daughter's game is really slowing it down, that's why i'm willing to upgrade memory or get a bigger processor. But i don't know what and how much to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

Increase your RAM to 1 gig and do defrag and disk cleanup.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 steelers2006

steelers2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:20 AM

So are you saying that i don't need a bigger processor? And are you saying that i need more memory and that is all? Thanks again

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:09 PM

I would suggest you begin trouble shooting by doing a thorough scan with your Anti-virus, and at least two anti-spyware applications, before running disk cleanup, scandisk (checkdisk), and then finally defragging your hard drive.
Doubling your memory would certainly help both your daughter's gaming experience as well as computer speed for doing other tasks.Your processor speed is adequate for both.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

Also you do have dial-up so it won't cut all the lag out of your system. I would have to say that you should consider high speed a bit. The price has really dropped in the past few years and you can find ISPs with high speed for like 30$ a month.

Your processor is nice. Some of the fastest ones out there are 3
0 GHz so you aren't that bad there.

If you computer is slow on startup I would suggest that clean up the startup. Often with all the instant messengers and other crap that get into the startup menu it makes your computer take so much time to boot up.

Here is an easy how to guide (with video clips) to help you clean that up.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6422934-1.html?tag=txt

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:41 PM

If you do decide to check your startups for unneccessary
programs that load at startup, this should help. :thumbsup:

Bleeping Computer - Startup Programs Database