Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected Vista Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hello all,

I was watching a video (on a site I shouldn't have). All of a a sudden while the video played the screen began to flash (similar to a flashing strobe light) where it went between the regular image and a photo negative of the image in primary colors.

After a series of flashes my screen turned black with no programs or desk top folders available. In addition my cursor was invisible. I turned off my computer manually after not being able to turn it off with "Ctrl + Alt + Delete". When the computer turned back it was a black screen with uniformed dots and I am not able to see the login screen for my password or cursor.

I again turned my computer off and launched it to boot in 'Safe Mode' and have tried to start my computer with 'System Restore' using a date from a week ago. This, however, does not resolve the problem as when I go back into regular mode the computer screen appears as before, black with dots.

My computer information is as follows:

OS Name: MS Windows Vista Home Premium
Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack Build 6002
System Model MXG071
System Type X86-based PC
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40 GHz, 2394 Mhz, 2 Cores
Bios: Dell Inc AO1, 8/7/2007
SMBios Version: 2.4
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32

Would appreciate any help from the group in resolving my now unoperable computer.

Best,
DLP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Konfliict

Konfliict

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

This looks pretty iffy. I think your SOL.

Try re-installing the OS. And installing any drivers you had (are also on discs that came with pc's)

If you can't operate your PC theres nothing you can do but revert to that.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

What security/antivirus software do you have installed on your computer and can you run any of it from Safe Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Budapest,

I have Norton 360, but when I try to run it in Safe Mode a popup window comes up with the Warning "Some features may be unavailable when running in Safe Mode. Would you like to perform a Full System Scan now? When I click "Yes". It starts, but immediately stops with the comment that "An error occurred during the scan". There is a detail button below this which when clicked on says:

Security History: Your PC is currently running in Safe Mode. Security History will continue to run. However, you may not have access to all features."

I have downloaded Malwarebytes and am in the process of doing a "full scan". I should have done a quick scan as I am 50 minutes into it with apparently no end in site. Prior to starting Malwarebytes, I downloaded Combo fix and it created a log. I have not posted it as I was waiting for someone to request it.

I also downloaded RKill and have run it. It killed some executables, though I don't believe they were associated with any viruses.

Malware Bytes says it has detected 2 Objects, but as it is still running I have not deleted them. This may resolve the issue as I have had success with this program in the past, but I was curious if it made sense to post my Combo Fix report as well and do anything manually?

I noticed this virus is behaving somewhat like the virus that won't let you boot your computer without telling you that you have downloaded some horrible virus and that you need to purchase malware removal software.

The difference being that this isn't trying to make me purchase anything. It just wants to bleep with me by making my life miserable for watching copyrighted material from a site that is illegally hosting it.

It doesn't appear to do anything though in Safe Mode as my computer seems to be running fine in this limited capacity.

DLP

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Please post the Malwarebytes log when the scan is finished (if you can).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Ahh, the never ending scan has stopped.

Here is the report:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.02.29.01

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS (Safe Mode/Networking)
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19170
Dell Laptop: DLP [administrator]

2/28/2012 8:11:21 PM
mbam-log-2012-02-28 (20-11-21).txt

Scan type: Full scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 407678
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\vGrabber (PUP.BundleInstaller.VG) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Program Files\vGrabber\Uninstall.exe (PUP.BundleInstaller.VG) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Maylwarebytes is telling me that I need to restart my computer: Urgent! You must restart your system to remove all active threats properly. click Yes to restart now.

Will this do the trick?

Edited by dlmuxlow, 29 February 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

There is probably more to do after this, but yes restart your computer and see how it is running.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

Everything seemed fine, but then when watching a recorded video my computer seemed to act up again. Any suggestions. Should I run Combofix. I repeated what I did last time. I rebooted in Safe Mode. Ran RKill. Then ran Malwarebytes. However, this time I did a shortscan and it didn't find anything.

My other thought is that I might have something wrong with my graphics card. It seems to get triggered only when I am watching videos where the video starts to stutter as I mentioned above and then flashes and finally goes to a black screen where I cam not able to do anything unless I reboot. When I do reboot there are all these dots.

I would assume it was the video card except if I launch in Safe Mode and run the antivirus software it seems to get better. I am a bit lost.

DLP

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Try running this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

Edited by Budapest, 01 March 2012 - 04:04 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Budapest,

I am beginning to think it may not be a virus but that my graphics card is failing. The card works fine in safe mode, but I have a suspicion that it drops down to a lower configuration of the card. It is the hi-end version of the card that is failing.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 8700M GT. I am not sure, but it appears that I have 2 as they are 2 listed under Display Adapters in my Device Manager section. I also have an Ageia PhysX adapter.

Questions:
Any idea what would happen to disable the Ageia PhysX adapter. I don't use the laptop to play games and believe and not sure how great it is for just watching DVDs, videos, etc.
How can I pinpoint whether it is the card. Is there a program that can test it?
Can I easily replace the card. What are my options here.

Any feedback is helpful or where to do to get information would be great. The laptop is an XPS 1730. I purchased it through a friend at Dell who no longer works there back in April 2008. I realize it is a bit old, but the laptop was $2500 at the time and while prices are quite lower now, I was hoping to get a few more years out of it as money is tight as I got laid off from a failing company a few months back.

Thanks, DLP

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hardware is not something I know much about. I suggest you start a new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum7.html

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users