Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Computer Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hello all,

I was watching a video on a site I shouldn't have. All of a a sudden my screen began to flash (similar to a flashing strobe light) in which the video went to a photo negative type of picture though in primary colors.

The screen then turned black with a bunch of dots. No programs or desk top folders were available. As I could not see my icon I turned off my computer manually after not being able to turn it off with "Ctrl + Alt + Delete". When the computer turned back on it was the same image that I had before I turned it off and I am not able to see the login screen for my password.

I am able to safely boot into Safe Mode and have tried to start my computer with 'System Restore' using a saved time period. This, however, does not resolve the problem as when I go back into regular mode the computer screen appears as before, black with dots.

My computer information is as follows:

OS Name: MS Windows Vista Home Premium
Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack Build 6002
System Model MXG071
System Type X86-based PC
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40 GHz, 2394 Mhz, 2 Cores
Bios: Dell Inc AO1, 8/7/2007
SMBios Version: 2.4
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32

Would appreciate any help from the group in resolving my now unoperable computer.

Best,
DLP

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2012 - 03:21 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Run chkdsk first. Then get a free antivirus like MSE.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

I was watching a video on a site I shouldn't have. All of a a sudden my screen began to flash

My first thought would be to rule out malware.

To best do that, I would recommend posting in Bleeping Computer's Am I Infected? Forum.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Question quys. I think it may now not be a virus. I am thinking my graphics card is going out on my. I have an XPS1730 and in Googling the issue I have found that this laptop has known graphics card issues. The laptop is 4 years old and in laptop years is fairly old. It, however, runs perfectly accept for this issue. Brand new it costs $2,800, but I got it at a deal as at the time I worked for Dell. I am wondering how I might pinpoint whether it is the graphics card and whether I can replace it. The other alternative is to buy a new laptop. Money is tight at the moment and I would rather not do this.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

You could try running an alternative operating system (i.e. burn a Linux live cd) and see how the graphics behave outside windows.

Any "Live CD" would do. Puppy Linux - 528.004.iso (130 MB) is a small download.

The "Iso" just needs to be burned to a CD in order to make the CD bootable (Don't know how? See here).

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users