Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp computer wont start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gayler

gayler

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi guys and girls. My old dell demention2350 turned off on me and when I try to restart it turns off after about twenty seconds. It sometimes gives a message it is shutting down to protect itself from some issue and gives me options on how to ptocede. I could start normaly, start in safe mode or one other that I don't remimber. I've tried all three and with all three it does the same thing, after twenty seconds it powers down. Any ideas on how to get this thing running? All I realy need to do is get all my pictures and stuff transfered to my newer computer. Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

All I realy need to do is get all my pictures and stuff transfered to my newer computer.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No itís not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. Itís Linux Mint.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you can not get it to run following AustrAlien post because it won't stay running more than 20 seconds that would point to hardware.

I have seen these brackets fail and cause a thermal shutdown.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=socket+478+bracket&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=604&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=u0_yvoo8Cu7IIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.cpp123.com/specials.htm&docid=fKLU9pkX55rX2M&imgurl=http://www.cpp123.com/478_backet.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=WLpOT6vvF8en0AH5wIjVAg&zoom=1

If your computer has a loose heatsink you could because one or more of the four corner posts are broken you can replace the broken bracket or buy something like this and use it to hook up the drive to the new computer.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=usb+sata&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=604&tbm=isch&tbnid=VSJHfuMlp69X1M:&imgrefurl=http://www.buyincoins.com/usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-2-5-3-5-hard-drive-adapter-cable-product-353.html&docid=heeU6SJW6RzbRM&imgurl=http://www.buyincoins.com/images/review/1304919264-1299761552_140043486_1----sata-IDE-USB-12-5-2.jpg&w=625&h=537&ei=CbtOT_awLc-G0QHI5qjeAg&zoom=1

Please not I am not recommending either of these sites as I have not dealt with them. They are just to show what you might need.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 February 2012 - 06:58 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users