Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't go into auto sleep or hibernate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WorldInMyEyes

WorldInMyEyes

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

A while back my computer got a bug that wouldn't allow Windows to boot, so eventually I got it fixed. I trusted someone who recommended this computer tech guy they used many times for their business, and I ended up with the wrong version of Vista (he had to do a reinstall, I had 64-bit, guy put in 32-bit), lots of things missing. Soon after I turned it on after getting it back, I got a Windows error message saying this may be a counterfeit version of Windows. So I didn't use it for a while since I wanted to get it all taken care of. I notice every time I turn the computer on, there's these white words on the screen right before Windows starts, but it's too fast to read. I'm still waiting for certain things, but I;ve been using it again until I again will have to reinstall Windows with a 64-bit version. I realized the computer won't go into Sleep or Hibernate mode automatically (will only if I manually do it). I checked the advanced power settings and it's set correctly to Sleep and Hibernate. What could be reasons for this? There's hardly any processes even running. I didn't even load my computer up with anything yet since I'm still waiting to reinstall. I just put on Iobit Malware Fighter. I also just realized the version of Internet Explorer that was on here when I got the computer back, is only IE 7! I don't know what this guy did, but in the meantime, I would like to get it to be able to sleep and hibernate automatically.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

My suggestion is just go out and buy a windows 7 install disc, that way you have a perfect legal and fully operational computer. Believe me the $190 for windows 7 is worth it when you need a computer that works. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Go Start/Run...type winver and hit Enter. Post the displayed data, first 3 lines.

<<I had 64-bit, guy put in 32-bit), lots of things missing. Soon after I turned it on after getting it back, I got a Windows error message saying this may be a counterfeit version of Windows.>>

Well...what prevented you from taking it back to whomever...and getting the appropriate version installed?

Do you have recovery/restore disks...backups?

<<I just put on Iobit Malware Fighter...>>

Does that mean that you have a malware problem, along with a questionable install of Windows? Or just blindly groping in the dark?

FWIW: I would never suggest to anyone...that any Iobit product be installed on a system, regardless of how uninformed the user might be and what "miracles" they expect from such products.

Louis

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Agreed Iobit is garbage........

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ditto.

The Chinese Company IObit has in the past been accused of stealing intellectual property (see here) casting doubt by some sources as to whether the software can be trusted.

While the choice is yours, I would advise the removal of IObit.
(See how to uninstall software in Vista and Windows 7)

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users