Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat or Repair?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nighthawkjw

nighthawkjw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Last month, I discovered the rootkit.zeroaccess virus had infected my PC, along with a strain of BackDoor.Generic virus. In my attempts to remove these viruses using several methods including Kaspersky HTKILLER and Malwarebytes Free, the OS was damaged removing my internet access. I attempted repair of XP, but could not with the older version I had so installed a different XP without formatting. I installed AVG and scanned, finding that the computer is now infected with the Crypt.ANVH and BackDoor.Generic14.GVG viruses. One problem seems to be that my external hard drive is also infected.

After reading several instructions on removal of these viruses, I wonder, would it be easier to reformat and reinstall XP on a clean hard drive rather than bother with the removal process? All data is backed up. I am very frustrated! I sincerely appreciate your advice on this matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

If it were my system I would start from scratch (delete & recreate all partitions, format, install). I'd then make sure I had a good anti virus app installed.

#3 nighthawkjw

nighthawkjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, Forum Addict. Any other votes for starting over with a reformat?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Agree with Allan
I just dealt with zeroaccess the other day & it is particularly nasty!

Back up your personal data, delete the partitions & reload. It is way faster.
If you provide the make/model of the system we can point you to a link for the drivers you will need.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I defiantly agree with Allan and Eyesee

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users