Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't stay connected to the internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stratol

stratol

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi
I hope someone dosent mind helping an idiot?? Really don't know anything about PCs. I can't stay connected and am cut off after a few mins. I read and read but dont understand much of what I've read. The only way I'm able to stay online in to take my phone off th hook right after I dial up. found that out by accident
I'm on Dial-up....no other way for me.
Desk top with Win XP- it's a Dell Pentium, had it since 2008.
It's always beed slow but it's worse now.
Had truoble with a VP(Trend Mico) and finaly got rid of it and have Micosoft Security Essentials now. The TM was wrong for dial up and I couldnt get up-dates
Really dont know what else to tell about this
Please help,
Thank you.
Matt

Edited by hamluis, 29 February 2012 - 07:36 AM.
Moved from XP to Networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

its been years since i had to use dialup ,but there is a setting in the dialup options ,to tell it not to disconnect if you get a incoming call ,sound to me like that is what your problem is ,i could be wrong and have no dialup option to check and show the exact spot the option is ,but it would be somewhere in this area .

copy and paste from a MS help site below
To configure dial-up options (such as dialing 9 for an outside line, disabling call waiting, or using pulse dialing instead of tone dialing) for a group of connections within a location:

Open Phone and Modem Options by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Phone and Modem Options.

If you haven't opened Phone and Modem Options before, a dialog box will be displayed, prompting you to type your area code and access codes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Advanced-dial-up-settings

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 stratol

stratol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thank you for your reply caperjac.
I don't think that's my problem cos it really wont stay connected....not that many people would be calling me. I can't rule it out tho. Why would I stay connected with the phone off the hook? Seems like it would disconnect when I pick up the phone??? I wait a few secs untill I hear the beeping stop and it starts static and I can go on line and surf. Hard for me to explain, and I'll work on trying to get some notes together of the other things that have happened....I can't down load pics from my camera anymore, for example. Dial up is a pain......
Thank you

Matt

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

good luck ,i have nothing else to offer about dialup .its just been so long , will be watching to see about your other problems

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 stratol

stratol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hello all,
I'm still having this problem. I can get on-line first thing in the morning and surf for a few hours and then when I turn off my computer and then come back to it later it will dial and look like it's connected but then it will not load a page up and will tell me I'm not connected to the net. Sometimes I'll just loose my connection and when it (or I) re-dial it will not connect the same way. This is for the rest of the day and into the night, the only time I can say online is for a few hours in the morning.
I had a bunch of Malware and virus' a couple months ago and Sweettech from here was able to get me running and cleaned up again but this connection issue is here and worse than ever. After the virus/malware stuff I didn't have as many problems but it was still there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic449592.html

I have my phone connected into the back of my computer (going through the PC) and it is working fine now...that's why I able to write this request for help, because I have the phone off the hook like in the OP. I've had the phone hooked up else ware and it still did/does the same thing. I hope that I have something just set wrong and nothing is broke??
If it was someone calling I don't think this would be happening like this, so call waiting would make a difference..I don't think. It doesn't make since that I can get online for 3-4 hours in the morning and it work fine......
I've tried cleaning history/cache/cookies...defragging/disk clean up....temp files...nothing helps that I know to do.
I've change to Google Chrome (from IE)...no help there.

Like I said I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and don't have a clue what to do.
Please help
Thank you
Stratol

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

What happens if you completely unplug all phones? Try with just your dialup PC connected to the phone line.

If that doesn't change anything, then it sounds like a line quality issue. But, I doubt many companies are going to give support for dialup.

#7 stratol

stratol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for the reply, NpaMA!

I've tried every way you can imagine with my phone lines and same thing, nothing after 10:00am, maybe make it to 1:00pm... and you are right about the phone Co., sooo right. I know those line guys by name and have a new friendship now with one...we like the same music, songwriter stuff. If it were the phone lines, and it isn't, it wouldn't make since(to me) that taking the phone off the hook and laying it on the floor next to the cradle and listen to it hisss and beep and whatnot, while I'm surfing away , connected to the internet. It's hard to explain....I have to dial up with the connection thing on the computer and wait till the connection is complete and then when I hit my browser icon I reach down and take the phone off the cradle and lay it on the floor facing up. It takes a minute and then the two TVs (connection icon) light up.....weirdest thing....even weirder that I just happen upon it, want to see if it was dialing and listened for a minute to hear what it was doing out of curiosity.
Anyway, I'm hoping that there's just something not set right but I wouldn't know, as I'm just a dummy...I just read on this thing mostly but I do pay bills and shop on occation, on dial-up I can't watch movies, play games that sort of stuff.
Thank you again...

~/\/\~

Edit; I forgot to say that I can do a 'system restore' to this morning, for instance, and I can get online for a couple hours...don't like doing that so I've only done it a couple times, just to see if would work. ~/\/\~

Edited by stratol, 20 June 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#8 stratol

stratol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi All!

I solved some of my problems. I call the phone company and got a tech that guided me thru a 'forced DNS', assigning numbers to my DNS instead of automatic look-up or something like that. The draw back is I had to turn my security down to medium. This worked great for a while and now it's cutting me off again after a few hours.....I trouble shooted some stuff in my computer and found that my "Network Adapter" is not healthy and looking further I found a TM Common Firewall miniport that is not working properly. I've not had Trend Micro in over a year and it didnt work proper when I did cus I couldn't get updates, tho when I got my PC in 2008 TM worked fine-something about when they upgraded...Anyway, I don't know what to do about this Miniport thing...don't even know what it is, but read that the network adapter and this miniport could be the cause of me not be able to stay connected.

Any suggestions. help???

Thank you,
Strat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users