Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

This problem is on an old machine running Mint 11. I had installed the music program Spotify awhile back, running with Wine - that was before the Linux version was released. I'm having one heck of a time getting rid of it. My update shield icon has a red X in it now. I can get the regular updates ok, but I always wind up with this error message -

Posted Image

I've uninstalled everything in Synaptic that I can find relating to Spotify and Wine. When I do a search for Spotify it returns a bunch of items such as - repository.spotify,com. I tried to run the autoremove command for Spotify but it wont allow the removal of it. Looks to me as if it's sharing a lot of dependencies so it wont let me remove it? Thought I'd better stop and ask before I remove anything that might be necessary for other programs.

Thanks,

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 searchme2

searchme2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Did you follow the instructions on this page?

http://www.spotify.com/us/download/previews/

I see those instructions have a different repository URL then what's listed in your error message.

Either the repository listed in the error message, repository.spotify.com InRelease, is offline or you need to import the keys for it. I would remove that line from your repositories then refresh. That would get rid of that error. If you still want Spotify's repository follow the instructions at the link above.

Probably the autoremove won't work because it does want to remove dependencies still used by other installed programs.

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,981 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

keith you can use ubuntu tweak to remove the repo . use it all the time works like a charm.
go to source editor highlite the one you want to remove.
hit unlock on the bottom of the panel
then hit the x in the red circle (delete this source)
and thats it
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the information, I'll post back later how I fare.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Alrighty...... it's fixed. Out of fairness, I tried the first posted idea first.

Search - Actually that link shows the line addition for the Linux version. For the pre-Linux version which I used at the time, there were two lines I had to add - started with deb-svc. I don't know what that means, but all is well now.

Cheesemaker - Ubuntu Tweak is something I will have to keep in mind - I'm sure it can be installed in mint.

Thanks for the ideas. :thumbup2:

#6 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

It's probably in your apt sources. Open Synaptic and take a look under Settings -> Repositories to see if there's anything related to Spotify. It looks like there should be at least one entry, and it's possibly outdated or shut down and can't be downloaded via the entry in your repositories (that's what probably gives the error about not updating some index files).

Also, part of your error has to do with GPG signatures. Probably at least part of that is related to Spotify, and it may go away completely after you solve that part. But there may be others. I've had those before and never worried about them because I always added the repositories manually and knew they were safe. But if that isn't how you added them and you're worried about trusting them, you'll end up having to research the repositories and get the proper commandline stuff to download and store the signatures. It's usually not too hard to find if it's not something obscure. And adding them is easy peasy.

EDIT: I didn't see you'd already fixed it before I answered. Next time I'll make sure I got to the end first.

Edited by stiltskin, 28 February 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#7 searchme2

searchme2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

I've used Ubuntu Tweak in the past and really liked it. But, it's not in the repositories in my Linux Mint 12 KDE.

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,981 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

keith i have ubuntu tweak installed in linux mint 12. the following link should work even if you are using mint11
let me know how you fare
http://www.noobslab.com/2011/12/install-ubuntu-tweak-06-on-ubuntu-1204.html
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the additional input. I'll let you know how the Ubuntu Tweak works out,

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

It installed just fine in Mint 11, thank you.

#11 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,981 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

keith glad you got it to work. WORD OF WARNING when using the janitor options dont use package config or unneeded packages. note if you choose to deleted the data under the unneeded packages it will delete any and all programs that you have added since you installed mint. i use the apt cache and remove old kernels. they never have misbehaved. really like tweak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users