Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workaround to shutdown/restart problems in Kubuntu 11.10

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 capt zero

capt zero

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

I believe I found a not too difficult workaround to the common shutdown/restart hang many users of Kubuntu 11.10 have been experiencing. First set up a new user account. After that, right click on your mouse and there will be a 'leave' option along with several others; click on leave. A menu will pop up offering several shut down options, choose 'log out'. This should, after a delay get you back to your password screen. In the lower right corner is another red leave circle, click on this. Once again you will be offered shut down options. Click whichever you desire and it should work.

This doesn't work with any of the other leave buttons, neither in the new activities dropdown menu nor the leave button in the start menu. Now I don't know that this will work with every hardware configuration, or every system installation. You'll just have to try, There doesn't appear to be any general consensus, among the forums I've surfed, about what the cause of this bug is. Also, I know this fix is a little cumbersome, but it does have the advantage of being a mouse only technique, which I find a little easier than switching to the konsole and typing in a sudo and verifying with a password. Being of the trash 88 and earlier school of computer use, it bothers me to do a hard reboot everytime I want to reboot or shutdown. Hope this helps.

Capt_zero

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users