Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WindowXP Need help restoring System Restore wont work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MACgranny

MACgranny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

I have my grandsons Dell laptop and it was given to him used. It must be completely corrupted with viruses, malware etc. My problem is I cannot get it to let me install Defender Pro from the CD at all. The computer works just fine in safe mode of course with no sound. In normal mode is freezes and wont let me do anything. It is really slow and I mean slow when it does allow you to do anything then freezes before you accomplish anything. Since this is a "hand me down" I dont have the CDs to reinstall the OS. Help. I am a real computer idiot other than just doing what I want but when problems occur I am lost. I can follow directions,I just need some help.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2012 - 11:34 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

<<Since this is a "hand me down" I dont have the CDs to reinstall the OS.>>

Those CDs...and the system...are a package, since it's a Dell system. If you have any doubt about such, read the Dell copyright statements about use of Dell CDs on other systems.

What model laptop?

Louis

#3 MACgranny

MACgranny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Well I managed to get the laptop up and running in normal mode. I still have a lot of bugs to work out but I am slowly getting there. The biggest issue now is what I suppose is called malware. Evertime IE initiates I get an immediate box "Windows Installer" and "Smart Web Printing" . If I immediately cancel these as they appear then things run pretty smooth. I cannot seem to get rid of these and apparently thats what is slowing down and freezing the laptop. Any other suggestions whould be most helpful. The laptop is a Dell Inspirion 600m if that helps. I really appreciate the advice.

#4 MACgranny

MACgranny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

I already am well aware I cannot use other CD's from other computers to reinstall the OS. I am aware of copywrite issues. I am in no way trying to bypass or infringe on those. I was merely pointing out this was not an option so that advice other than that would be appreciated. I just wanted to provide what info I had in the hopes someone could help me get this "hand me down" laptop up and going for my grandson.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Well...if you are serious about keeping this laptop functional, I suggest you contact Dell about replacement recovery/restore disks.

Since you suspect malware, I will move your topic to the appropriate malware forum for assistance from the more knowledgeable :).

Louis

FWIW: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.shtml

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2012 - 11:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users