Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down Suddenly Win 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sfgiants13

sfgiants13

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

I was watching a WMP file and all of a sudden I got a blue screen when it froze and it shut down. Then it would alternate between the following problems. Sometimes it would start in 800x600 resolution and be blurry and fuzzy. I couldn't change the resolution and some programs won't open even in safe mode. After letting it sit for a while I can open it sometimes in safe mode for a while like normal. If I try windows normally it'll go black and shut down shortly after starting then I'll be back to the fuzzy problem. I'm guessing it's a heating issue since my fan always runs constantly very loudly but I'm not sure. How can I check this for sure and what are my possible solutions if it is indeed a heating problem? I'm hoping the thing isn't fried.

I checked the temps in speedfan and I get
HD0-51C
Temp1-65C
Core 0/1-both 64C

I have an HP DV9000 labtop

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2012 - 09:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hello sfgiants13,

If the laptop is still under warranty then that's the way to go. It seems there are many posts regarding overheating with both CPU and GPU chips with this and similar HP models. You might want to check with the HP Support web site just in case they have extended the warranty.

If not, then I would start by removing the laptop battery and running the computer on A/C power. Does it shutdown faster? A bad or malfunctioning adapter, bad connection at the power jack, or loose power jack may give the battery a limited charge.

If no change with above then follow the five steps in this reference: 5 Tips for Making a Hot Laptop Cooler. They are fairly simple to perform and in total may have a significant effect. Also you could check to see if there is a BIOS update related to over heating; a few posts I read made mention of that. I would NOT however advise a bios update until the computer was running reliably without crashing.

There are many video posts on the web regarding reapplication of thermal paste and even using copper shims to better dissipate heat. That would depend on your confidence level in dealing with component removel.

Another reference: Maintenance and Service Guide - HP Pavilion dv9000 and dv9200 Notebook PC.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi, Straight from the HP website.

HP Notebooks periodic cleaning suggestion

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441193.html/page__p__2583145__fromsearch__1#entry2583145

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 sfgiants13

sfgiants13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

My battery is so shot it lasts 2 minutes max so I took it out and I'm able to use it for 10 mins and running now. But it was off all night and much cooler now so that could be why so it's definitely a heating issue. I cleaned it using compressed air but honestly I didn't notice any dust flying around so I don't know if that had much effect. And I couldn't fit the straw physically in the fan so I had to do it from the outside. I'll try some other things like the cooling pad and see what I can do.

edit: It's running for 30 mins now and the GPU is slowly creeping up and is around 65C right now. Watching a video it peaks at 70 but drops slightly after. Does anyone know what is safe for this card to run temp wise? The cores and temp1 are high 50s.

Edited by sfgiants13, 28 February 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

On those older HP dv series such as you have I always turn them off as they suffered from heating problems.
On the other hand there are others that say turning it on and off all the time causes the video chip BGA balls to fail earlier.

Hard to say for sure.

Especially the ones with AMD CPUs and nVidia video. Overheating will shorten the life.

My t3400 Intel powered Toshiba throws out lukewarm air from it's heatsink exhaust. How hot is yours?

I seem to recall mention of a firmware update from HP that ran the fan a little harder to keep it cooler. Be warned that a failed firmware update can trash the motherboard. Most expensive part in there.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 sfgiants13

sfgiants13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

On those older HP dv series such as you have I always turn them off as they suffered from heating problems.
On the other hand there are others that say turning it on and off all the time causes the video chip BGA balls to fail earlier.

Hard to say for sure.

Especially the ones with AMD CPUs and nVidia video. Overheating will shorten the life.

My t3400 Intel powered Toshiba throws out lukewarm air from it's heatsink exhaust. How hot is yours?

I seem to recall mention of a firmware update from HP that ran the fan a little harder to keep it cooler. Be warned that a failed firmware update can trash the motherboard. Most expensive part in there.

Lukewarm sounds about right. Now the fan isn't always running so fast like it used to be it still does from time to time. I bought a cooler online so it should be here in a week or so. Hopefully that helps.

Edited by sfgiants13, 28 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

It sounds as if the cleaning helped if the fan isn't running as fast as it was. The fan will speed up or slow down based on temperature of the laptop.

If the fan speeds up and slows down with the laptop just sitting there, then there is still some blockage as you shouldn't hear it except when the laptop is working hard. Mine is silent. OTOH I know mine is clean since it had failed and I had to replace it.

If you only hear it when working the laptop hard then that sounds normal.

You could try another cleaning. You do have to be careful as I have seen one HP where the dust kept the fan from running.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 sfgiants13

sfgiants13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I had it on for 2 hours and it didn't go above 60C which is an improvement. Not sure if that's still high or not but 10C cooler after the cleaning is obviously a plus. I don't expect it to last forever but at least until the end of the school term would be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users