Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Bar Unresponsive : Do you want to end this process

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

Windows Vista Home Premium: SP2; Toshiba satelite A135; 2gb RAM;1.73ghz;32bitOS

ISSUE: Task bar freezes and otherwise unresponsive until I click on the start page and I get the following window:

WINDOWS: This application is not responding. The program may respond if you wait. Do you want to end this process?

I click END PROCESS. to regain functionality. when I click, the task bar disappears then reappears and things work for a while.

I cannot access internet outside of my home.

I ran cccleaner, combofix,FSBL, malwarebytes and found NOTHING.

Any Ideas? otherwise it works...This annoyance has been around for about 3 weeks now.

Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2012 - 09:30 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

I took the laptop to the GEEK SQUAD. They charged me 80. kept my LT for 3 days and said it was fixed. Got home it did the same thing. I took it back to them and they I needed to reinstall the OS and everything.

I did that and it took all day to get mostly everything back on.

This morning I have 4 firefox windows open and then the task bar became unresponsive and said internet explorer needed to restart. Wow! REALLY?

I have had this LT for a few years and this started about 2 months ago and took it to the GS as a last resort. I have shot my wad on the installs for the trend micro and just perplexed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by vdotmatrix, 10 March 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

If you did a clean install...and have problems right afterwards...it can be assumed somewhat that it's not a malware issue.

I'll move this back to Vista forum.

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Quick Question.
Did you secure erase the drive before reinstalling?
Did you format the drive?
How did you reinstall?
Have you run hard drive and memory tests?

Just as Important with a Toshiba

Did you install All the drivers and utilities from the Toshiba Website?
I'm thinking about things like the Toshiba Value Added package and others that make a Toshiba run smoother.

Toshiba has some things that should always be loaded beyond the basic windows and drivers. Many Dells and Sonys likewise.

If you decide to reload again, be sure to install the Toshiba utilities and drivers. Not windows Update stuff and not from other websites either.

Just go here and click download. The signup/sign on is to use their forums.
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

I found a solution to this on another board.

It was suggested that I do a clean boot.

This is where you go to MSCONFIG> choose selective start> load start up items> goto services>hide microsoft services> disable everything else> REBOOT

The issue does not return no matter what I do.

I went back to GEEK SQUAD and after explaining to the one geek, they didn't do anything at all, I demanded my money back. After much discussion...I got my money back after 28 days.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi,

Except that what you've done has probably disabled your AntiVirus and left you unprotected.

It would be better to try and pin down what service was causing the problem and re-enable the others.
Just because they are not from Microsoft does not mean they are not needed for some features that should be running especially since it is a laptop.

What you have done is started a diagnostic process that should be finished.

If you put back one service at a time and test until the problem service is found. That would be helpful.

However the choice is yours.

Good Luck either way
ROger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users