Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC is haunted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SCCHAS

SCCHAS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

I have an old Gateway (think it is 6100 series). I turn it on and it beeps and appears to try to start up and then goes to the screen asking me if I want to boot noramal/safe/safe w cmd/safe w netwrk. No matter which mode I select, it shuts down and then restarts, same scenerio, on and off until I manually power it off. On a whim, I tried to boot it with a CD I had created with OTLPE to solve a malware problem with another PC. And it booted up. Of course I do not have all the bells and whistles. I can can not access MY Documents (get a B: drive the folders are empty) so I can not get to my music (about 85 CD's,). no pictures, nor any of my documents stored there. And I can not find some programs that I know should be there.

Any guidance on what I should do next to bring this clunker to life?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hi :).

See if you can do the following; Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

OTLPE is a malware tool...if you have reason to believe your issues are malware-related, please state thus and I will try to move this to the appropriate forum.

Did you generate a log from OTLPE? If so, do not post it here, please.

Louis

#3 SCCHAS

SCCHAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Downloaded Speccy, but when I clicked on the icon, the menu flashed on the screen for about 3 sec's and then wwas gone, not being timmid or shy, I kept clicking until the menu camme up and stayed,, but it was not interactive, more like a picture. Uninstalle Speccy and tried again,, same results.; but this the I had task manager running, there was initial activity I/o Reads and writes, but then nothing. Kept coming back to check for about 30 mins but nothing changed. The only way I can get the pc running is using the RAELTOGO CD. Do not know if this is impacting Speccy or not.

Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi SCCHAS,

A few suggestions:

Since you can boot into the Reatogo-X-PE environment,
  • If there are any important files that you would like to rescue, try to do it now.
  • Double click on "My Computer" and confirm the "drive letter" of your system drive (usually C:). Right click on the system drive and select "properties." Select the "Hardware" tab and note the make of the hard drive (WDC = Western Digital; ST = Seagate; HTS = Hitachi).
  • Next, choose the "Tools" tab and under "Error-checking" click "Check Now." Click on "Automatically fix file system errors," then "Start." I would run it 2-3 times, then manually reboot the computer. Does it boot now?

If not, run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software linked from here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm
  • Download the DOS version and install it onto a floppy disk or burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • During installation you may want to uncheck the box to add the Ask Toolbar.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the short test first and then the extended test. Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 SCCHAS

SCCHAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Artrooks- I HAVE A QUESTION BEFORE i TRY ANYTHING-

In your previous message you stated "•If there are any important files that you would like to rescue, try to do it now."
I take that to me before doing all that you suggest. Correct?

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yes. It's just good policy to have a backup of your important files/data; made even more important when your computer won't boot.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users