Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 creed0314

creed0314

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

I have a Compaq Presario which has decided that it no longer wants to recognize the DVD Drive. I have looked over similar posts in the forum here as well as in other places, but have yet to find a solution. The exact issue is as follows: dvd drive is not recognized, does not show up in the device manager, and does not show up in the BIOS. The light does come on when I boot the laptop up then go off as it should, the drive does NOT open when I push the button. I replaced the drive and the new one will not work and is not recognized either. Now I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not, I do not believe it does but figured I would throw it out there just to be on the safe side, about a week before this happened with the DVD drive ... my light for the card reader came on and will not go off. Any help would be enormously appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2012 - 09:28 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Until it shows up in the BIOS it is not there as far as the computer is concerned.

Did you get the right type of drive? If the drive is getting power as you say it should open up when push the button.
Just to double check
Turn on the L/T.
Go to the bios and see if the drive opens then.

It could be related to the card reader in that in some laptops the optical drive is a USB device and so is the card reader. Can you disable the card reader in the BIOS as a test?

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users